It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why the dramatic rise in obesity? somethings wrong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Johnny and Dave can probably tell us if people used to have to work so hard not to get fat.

It seems like its harder and harder to keep the pounds off, for most americans. Is it just merely lack of exersise? or... is it toxins in our environment?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Our organisms just are not genetically used to assimilating so much protein. A century ago, if you ate meat once a week, you were lucky. So we tend to store it around us, in prevision of hard times. (Well I don't, I look like a stick with eyes).
No hard times come. So we (again, not me) just get fatter and fatter.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
well, what i know is that about 15 years ago i could eat whatever i wanted without gaining any weight and that was with meat every day..sorry

And look at me now! Only looking at a chocolatebar will add up extra pounds. It's like suddenly all metabolism stopped by taking birth control pills. So i think hormones are of more influence than electric radiation. And the amount of sugar we eat destroys us inside!

But about the meat... What about the hormones they give the animals (to grow faster) that we eat? Maybe there is also a point in the meat, but in a different way than noted by ismael...

[edit on 31/8/2008 by Roosje]

[edit on 31/8/2008 by Roosje]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Point taken, I'll start being more carefull when I turn 30....

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail
Point taken, I'll start being more carefull when I turn 30....

LOL... it started when i turned 20...So if you're ok now, i guess your metabolism can handle the pressure over the next years
(one hint: don't push it....
)

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
There are chemicals in processed foods that specifically cause obesity. And since they also contain very little nutritional value, your body is starving for 'real' nutrition so you feel hungry... so you eat more of the same food which still provides no nutritional value and more of the obesity-causing chemicals. It's a scam and a dirty secret that the media or your doctor will not let you in on.

If people would get off the processed foods and just simply eat fresh organic fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc., obesity would no longer be an issue.

But people are brainwashed into thinking that the pretty boxes on the shelf with the labels that say "low-calorie" and "heart-healthy" are actually good for them. They're not.

Checkout the thread called 'Let them eat cake'. It basically talks about how people are being starved: Let them eat cake

There's also lots of information about the causes of obesity at the Natural News website which is linked in my signature.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Corn syrup replace cane sugar as the primary sweetener in most products.
When you mention Fat people you speak of those who live in country's where this has taken place.In those country's where they still use cane sugar there is very little obesity or diabetes to speak of.
Juvenile obesity and diabetes is a serious problem in the U.S. Specifically among the Latino population. This is not racist propaganda this is statitics from the Public Health and the CDC.
You can they Secretary of Agriculture Earl Butz.He was in the pocket of big agri-business and got Congress to pass laws allowing the use of high-fructose corn syrup based sugars instead of sucrose which is a natural sugar from sugar beets and sugar cane .
Here is a link. How Americans became the fattest people in the world.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
While I am sure there are a number of factors contributing to the increase in obesity in America, I would single out two as likely predominant causes. One is the increasingly sedentary lifestyle of the average American. The other is the commercialization of the growth and production of much of our food.

As for the first, we have become much more sedentary in our recreation - until the Baby Boom generation people didn't have the option of sitting in front of the television to entertain themselves. Likewise, in the last fifteen years or so the internet has become another source of sedentary entertainment. In general we don't spend as much time outside engaging in physical activity as we did before, say, the 1950s or so.

However, we are also far more sedentary in our work lives. Granted, this is not universally the case, but we are becoming more and more a service-based economy, not an economy where people run machines and build things, an activity which tends to burn far more calories. 50 or 100 years ago people didn't need to go to the gym or exercise for recreation as much because they got a good deal of exercise at work!

As for the second, anyone who is interested in where their food comes from and hasn't yet read Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma should definitely add it to their reading list. It is staggering to learn the extent to which the growth and production of much of our food has been commercialized.

From the standpoint of a corporation, there is no incentive to offer a consumer anything more than basic nutrition. The fewer dietary needs which are met by a given processed food product the more a consumer needs to eat in order to survive, which means more consumption.

As has already been said in this thread, the healthiest way to eat is to keep your diet balanced, prepare as much of your own food as possible, and to include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Agreed. People are being fed crap under the guise that it is healthy clean food.

I personally think it is the nutritional side of a multifaceted elitist genocidal agenda.

But there are also lifestyle aspects to take into account. People drive more, walk less. People have more deskjobs. Previous physical labour jobs have been mechanized. People don't take in enough sunlight. People must share part of the blame I guess.

Eat healthy organic foods. Drink clean purified water. Exercise. And you might escape the trend. I expect a lot of my generation and the generation following it to die young, sadly, unless they wake up to this reality and change direction. Here at least I see a lot more people exercising, which is a good sign.

I have never seen so many fat kids, it saddens me.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PhloydPhan

Dont forget fluoridated water, it effects the thyroid which can make you fat.

www.fluoridealert.org...

Hypothyrodisim, most commonly diagnosed in women over 40, is a serious condition with a diverse range of symptoms including: fatigue, depression, weight gain, hair loss, muscle pains, increased levels of "bad" cholesterol (LDL), and heart disease.. The drug (Synthroid) used to treat hypothyroidism is now one of the top five prescribed drugs in the U.S.

population control, make you fat, and you spend more money getting fat and when you are overweight you will easyer to control, watch tv all day, brain mushed from crap diet and how are you going to stand up for yourself if you are 20 stone and cannot climb a flight of stairs without having a heart attack.

Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
And here's something to think about:

Did you know that fruits and vegetables that are grown today, have lost nutrients? Of 13 major nutrients in fruits and vegetables tracked by the Agriculture Department from 1950 to 1999, six showed noticeable declines -- protein, calcium, phosphorus, iron, riboflavin and vitamin C. The declines ranged from 6 percent for protein, 15 percent for iron, 20 percent for vitamin C, and 38 percent for riboflavin.

Maybe we eat more because we're getting less from our foods.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by asdf1234

The fact of the matter is that people aren't getting "fat" per se. They're filling up with waste - poo. For many reasons, not the least of which is our worship of anal-retentive behavior, people are getting stopped up. Remember that dump you needed to take, but were too busy, and then after a while it just kinda disappeared or 'went back up'? Well sometimes it just goes to the side. Then it forms a pocket in your intestinal wall. Sometimes the pocket's entrance will just get grown over and that poo becomes a part of you - forever. Other times, as you work other stuff through, so does that pocket get pushed along - Elongating and becoming larger. Ultimately it reaches "the end" and you experience what you think is incredible constipation but it's just your body messed up and trying to excrete the side wall (the pocket) of your intestine as if it were excrement. Don't forget that while the initial waste is at the bottom of the pocket, trying to be pushed out, there's now a long tube behind it. As new waste cruises through your intestine, occasionally a piece slips into the pocket opening and starts it's way down the tube/pocket. Eventually, it comes up to the initial poo sitting at the bottom, unable to escape, and stops there. Followed by the next misdirected piece, and the next, and the next. All compacting together, filling up your insides, moving around your spine and organs, causing all sorts of havoc, not to mention making you one big fella with a gut the size of a beanbag chair.

Now take this information and start to think about all those other problems - tiredness, bad skin, constipation, allergies, immune suppression/malfunction, etc. Think it may be related to the fact that you are full of toxic waste?
-v

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Food is junkier. Additives are more common. But still the main reason is - people consume more energy then their output. I know a person who lives couple of hundred meters from work. He drives there in a car! Now he can cry about poor quality of food as long as he wants, the real reason is that his body needs less calories then it gets and those calories go to fat.
There are genetic issues, there are food quality issues, there are pollution issues. But THE reason is simple. I am yet to see fat construction worker ,for example. Not big guys who sit in office. Those who put brick on brick and physically work all day.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by asdf1234

How many people actually exercise?
How many people practice portion control?
How many people actually restrict what their children eat?

The problem isn't them, it is us!
We have to look at the ingredients of what we buy.
We have to give our kids more vegies to snack on instead of chips.
We have to go to the schools and look at what they are serving our kids and keep on top of it.
We have to get turn off our computers and TVs and get off our collective @sses to exercise with our family.

Europe has beaten the US in the obesity rate recently. China is on hand to beat Europe. No other countries can make fun of fat USA without looking into a mirror. Obesity knows no color, race or nationality.
I have gained a lot of weight, one reason is being medical, the other is my fault. I have to change my diet and find other ways to exercise.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Gotta agree.
Maybe the Gov ARE stuffing our freezers with pre-packaged poo,devoid of any real nutritional value..
BUT it's still down to the individual to use a little sense and education to find out what is or isn't good for us.

No-one is actually holding our mouths open and stuffing it down.. yet..

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
What is wrong is absolute laziness. I see it every damned day lol. Kids don't play outside (the good about that is the neighborhood is quieter then in any other decade lol!). When I bought my 25 yr old daughter a bicycle she was thrilled at the age of 7 yrs. When I bought my 7yr old niece a bicycle yesterday, she looked at me like I was stupid in the face lol. She wanted another game for her DS system what ever the hell that thing is.
And yes, I say she is pudgy, her mother calls it baby fat. Well, seems to me baby fat lasts an entire lifetime sometimes.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Could it be that there's a fast food place in every corner

new topics

top topics

join