It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush, Cheney to skip Republican convention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Bush, Cheney to skip Republican convention

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON - President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney will skip the Republican National Convention because of mounting concerns about Hurricane Gustav, the White House said Sunday.

His Homeland Security chief warned that Gustav could prove more challenging than Katrina and the nation's disaster response coordinator worried about New Orlean's fragile levees.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Bush may speak via satellite, if the Convention runs as scheduled. I was hearing that they MUST officially nominate McCain and Palin but in a worst case scenario, they could complete all official business in 2 hours.

No matter how the GOP chooses to handle the convention, there will be people that tear them apart for their decisions and say that they handled it poorly. Sad that at a time like this they will ultimately be in a no-win situation.

Jemison

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
They are cowards.

Stand and face your base gentleman. You got us here, and now are going to hide out because it will remind everyone that you were giving out birthday cakes when Katrina hit.

Heck of a job Brownie,
DocMoreau

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I'm not so sure that the GOP even would WANT them there in the first place. Bush is the ONE DUDE you do NOT want to appear on your behalf just before an election.
The dem. camp would have just that much more ammunition for their ONLY REAL argument. That being that McCain will be just another four more years of the same failed policies.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

If they don't want them there, why is that? Is it the criminal negligence they perpetrated on the people of New Orleans and the surrounding area? If that is the case, they need to be impeached, and then indicted. Or the Republican Party has lost all credibility. Your Presidential Nominee has voted 90% of the time with the current President, but doesn't want him there because the Nominee doesn't want the American People to highlight the similarities between the two men, Bush and McCain.

A republican Elephant never forgets anyway... McCain and Bush... K-I-S-S-I-N-G...

DocMoreau

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
He damned sure isn't "my" candidate. I'm fully aware that McCain shares his policies and that the democratic argument is completely valid. I'm just saying that if I were McCain, or any OTHER, republican running for office I would want Bush as far away as possible.

I also feel that Bush is a bold liar, once again, when he says he will be doing things differently this time. Hell, he was in Crawford, TX when Katrina hit ALSO. This is just political posturing. Serves as a perfect excuse for him not to "face his base", as you so eloquently put it.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Really believe that they skipping the convention is not about security but rather to give McCain a clean portrait without having Bush next to him so people do not make a connection and can not distinguish one from the other.

Gustav is just a convenient excuse.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Star for you darling...you took the words right from my mouth.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I to am of the school thought that hurricane or no hurricane Bush and Cheney weren't invited to the Republican convention . Other then appeasing the few remaining die hard Bush supporters McCain would gain nothing from the presence of Bush and Cheney . The Hurricane has provided a good excuse that can cover Bush and Cheney absence.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

www.latimes.com...

ST. PAUL, MINN. -- The marquee act for opening night just canceled, but some Republicans couldn't be happier.

All year, Republican strategists have worried about showcasing President Bush at the Republican National Convention when his standing with the public lies at a near-record low.

So, when Bush canceled his planned appearance at tonight's opening session to focus on preparations for Hurricane Gustav, there were more than a few sighs of relief.

Oh he was 'invited', that is for sure. But maybe the invite was more his overture than McCain in the first place. Although McCain is known to have consorted with Bush quite a lot over the past 8 years, he has been giving him a wider berth while he has tried so hard to establish his own image in defiance to the 90% of the times he voted with Bush. He has been trying to cling to the 'maverick' moniker that he earned years ago and now has lost.

Cheney seems like he is a persona non grata as well, and has for some time. I have not seen hide nor hair of him in ages... Kinda worries me a bit actually. What has Cheney been up to these days?

DocMoreau

[edit on 1/9/2008 by DocMoreau]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I know why Cheney won't be there. The convention needs to be a positive event that gives off a good attitude to voters. If Cheney shows up, his evil scowl will just ruin any good vibes that are created. And as for Bush, well maybe Cheney said he couldn't go.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This is no different than Gore keeping old two timing Bill away from his campaign. Another case of the obvious, a popularity contest.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
This is no different than Gore keeping old two timing Bill away from his campaign. Another case of the obvious, a popularity contest.

True, and how did that end up turning out for Gore?

Sure, Bush has like a 31% approval or something like that. A majority of Americans are upset with him. But roughly 100,000,000 Americans still believe he is 'doing a good job'.

McCain has voted with Bush 90% of the time the past 8 years. Many of his platforms are identical as well. One would think that he is counting on Bush's remaining, albeit supportive, base.

I guess it is irrelevant now that Bush has given his '1984' speech to the convention last night.

Either way... We will see how this all plays out.
DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocMoreau

Originally posted by SectionEight

True, and how did that end up turning out for Gore?

Sure, Bush has like a 31% approval or something like that. A majority of Americans are upset with him. But roughly 100,000,000 Americans still believe he is 'doing a good job'.

McCain has voted with Bush 90% of the time the past 8 years. Many of his platforms are identical as well. One would think that he is counting on Bush's remaining, albeit supportive, base.

I guess it is irrelevant now that Bush has given his '1984' speech to the convention last night.

Either way... We will see how this all plays out.
DocMoreau

For a man who couldn't even carry his home state he damn near won. If old extra baggage Bill would have stumped for him the election wouldn't have been so close when Gore lost and there would have been no controversy at the end of the election. The country would have been spared from the hanging chad.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by SectionEight]

top topics

join