It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meningitis vaccine

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Hello again...

I wish I could help with more medical input, but I have no expertise there, I'm afraid. Maybe it was interesting that I was out of school when it happened, and maybe your idea about the immune system is correct. I do know that I have a really strong immune system though...I almost never get sick, and when I do, it's gone in no time. I'm very healthy. I will be watching with interest, and wish you luck with your decision. I will also see what I can find online about this.

Cait

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I've decided that I will hold off on being vaccinated until I see what the living/sanitary conditions are like at the school. after a few months of living on campus I should be able to get a good idea of what the odds are of contracting the disease based on how clean/close everyone is, as well as how well my immune system handles any sicknesses I come across in the first couple of weeks.

if I feel that the conditions are poor by the time Christmas break rolls around, then I'll vaccinate then. I'll also have the convenience of having family to watch me for any adverse side effects.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I respect your decision, and it is very unlikely you will contract it, but for the record, I don't think, and have never read, that we are more likely to pick up this infection from unhygenic surroundings...it's more about lots of people being new around each other for the first time. On a personal note, I have the most Ulster mother in the world, and *no-one* has a cleaner house than she does....she is also a medical professional of 45 years now, and if anyone knows how to keep her kids from getting sick, it's her.

Keep us up to date though, and if I find anything interesting in my research, I will post a link.

Cait

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FinalSonicX

As an employee of a college and to help you make an educated decision, I'm in favor and encouraging you to get the vaccine. It is because of the the vaccine the disease if rarely contracted. There are many international students who attend colleges that are not required in their country's to be vaccinated, therefore are not immuned. If one should contract the disease it may cause those not vaccinated to become very ill or death as well as for those who are vaccinated jeopardizing them if they haven't had a recent vaccine to keep their immune system working to fight the disease. I realize you hadn't live in times where there wasn't a vaccine available and many children died because they weren't immuned in a controlled fashion. It is still up to you. I'm only suggesting a common sense approach. Either get the disease full blown with more severe risks or immune yourself to let your body fight it off naturally and gradually.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
So you don't need to worry about catching the bacteria that causes meningitis because you already have it.

Yes no issue in the throat but put that bugger in your CSF etc and you have big problems.

The chances are so low of contracting the disease and the vaccines I personally believe do more harm than good, so I passed on the vaccine and have been doing fine as well.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by ghaleon12]

Hmmm you do realize future nurse that you more than others will be exposed to yep thats right "sick people". Hospitals, clinics etc, are littered with them. You have a much higher rate of exposure than the average public does.

tick tick tick tick, its only a matter of time.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I'm afraid that i also have absolutely no medical expertise on vaccinations of any kind. However, anyone who's child has had meningitis will surely tell you that it is a 'must have' because the effects of this disease are horrific!

My 2 year old son (at the time) contracted the meningacocal sceptacaemia form. Luckily my mother who has 'basic' medical experience wasted no time in ringing the alarm bells! and as a result saved his life limbs intact.
He spent 10 days on life support, had multiple organ failure and was even told by the head consultant that he 'would not make the (first) night'

Watching my son rolling around on a hospital bed in complete and obvious distress with his eyes as red as the sun and clearly dying in front of my eyes is something i hope no-one ever has to experience.

The night this happened will stay with me until i die and probably after!

Please put aside the paranoia and conspiracies for topics like this.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by logicalview

Thanks for sharing your experience. As an RN in a peds unit I have seen these horrific effects first hand as well. Its fun to be fashionable and not vaccinate your kids because most have no idea of the horror

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

The highest respect to you my friend. Keep up the good work.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join