It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Creating 'Embryonic Police State' : MSNBC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Bush Creating 'Embryonic Police State' : MSNBC

rawstory.com

The Justice Department has proposed changes to police intelligence-gathering rules that would ease the transfer of information about citizens to federal intelligence agencies, who would then keep the information for at least 10 years. The changes, the first since 1993, were introduced for public comment on July 31.

Under the proposed changes, law enforcement agencies would be allowed to target groups and individuals on the basis of suspicion of participation in terrorist acts or providing material support to terrorists. Former FBI agent and American Civil Liberties Union policy counsel Michael German, however, told the Washington Post that the proposed changes could lead to abuse of constitutional rights by law enforcement agencies, citing cases where police have eavesdropped on political dissenters and infiltrated their ranks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
LOL, I must sound like a broken record as of late, as I keep seeing the signs of this Fascist Police State all around me, and I'm screaming into the wind, "LOOK!!" and nobody hears me...

If people STILL can't see what is taking place here at this stage of the game, then they never will...

Here's Olbermann's commentary piece on this latest trampling of what tiny bit is left of our crumbling constitution:

"It turns police officers into spies on behalf of the federal government," German said. "If police officers no longer see themselves as engaged in protecting their communities from criminals and instead as domestic intelligence agents working on behalf of the CIA, they will be encouraged to collect more information."

The real intent of the changes, Olbermann opined, is to implement them before President Bush leaves office "so the next president can't do a damn thing about unraveling this disaster, which is, appropriately enough, an embryonic police state."

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I think many people are too conditioned already and it would take something like a famine to get them out of their head boxes.

Ask a typical person what is fascism and you will see how aware people are.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I'm waiting for the inevitable people to post things like:

"Well! If you're not a terrorist then you shouldn't be threatened by these new measures!"

Those of you out there who were about to type something along those lines, read this first:

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

-Martin Niemöller

IE: They're "coming for the 'terrorists'", or those who are trying to stop the formative police state. Most people don't want a police state, but they fail to speak out against what's happening because they really don't feel like it affects them. Sad, because it surely does.

[edit on 8/20/2008 by iceofspades]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

What annoys me about Olberman is he is a HUGE Bush hater. This is fine but the problem comes WHO IS LETTING BUSH GET AWAY WITH ALL OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The fact is the Democrats are not only allowing this to happen they are voting overwhelmingly for all of Bushs bills. When I say this is a 2 party dictatorship people I really mean it. "So the next president cant do anything about it?" Why couldnt the next president get rid of it? Are you telling me that laws cant be changed? No Olberman is part of the lets divide the people some more campaign so we dont focus on the real problem and that is our ENTIRE government and not just Dems here and Repubs there. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

new topics

top topics

join