It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want the Magic Numbers from Theo Jansen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I stumbled across Theo Jansen on the Internet and am very interested in his "Leg" design www.youtube.com... I want to build some small toy models to play with; robotics and such. Mr.Jansen keeps referring to his "magic numbers" which I am assuming are the ratios between component lengths, but can't find the numbers out on the net.

I tried to order his book, but they are sold out and no idea when I will be able to get it. Does anyone out there have these "magic numbers" or is it a closely guarded secret?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I don't see any need for magic numbers here. You could probably measure off the screen but it doesn't look very complicated to work out either geometrically or through some experimenting.

It looks to me like a 45/45/90 triangle, a jointed square and a 30/60/90 triangle at the bottom. Connect two equal-length rods to the crank, top of the 45/45/90 and the bottom of the square. Connect the top of the square to the main framework.

Some of the related YouTube videos might be helpful.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I don't know if this is the magic number he refers to, but i would try PHI, and the Fibonacci series, as it relates to so many moving and living organisms.

Phi

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Thanks for your comment. I am sure it is not rocket science, but there must be something to the measurements. If you search the Internet you can see many examples of models that are "inspired by" Theo Jansen and none of them have the same fluid movement as Jansen's machines. In at least two interviews I found on the web he talks about the magic or special numbers. Most walking models that are on youtube have an awkward bouncing motion. I am speculating that Jansen has figured out the mechanics for smooth movement and it is related to his numbers.

I am sure that I could build a working model from the diagrams on youtube, but I want to build one that works well. I like the mathematical science behind the movements.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluess
I don't know if this is the magic number he refers to, but i would try PHI, and the Fibonacci series, as it relates to so many moving and living organisms.

Fibonacci.... I forgot all about the fibonacci sequence! I would be willing to bet that the fibonacci sequence perfectly relates to this kind of movement. It has been a while since I have played with the numbers, 1,1,2,3,5,8,13, etc. but I remember that they have a direct correlation to the movements of living creatures (as you stated). Since Jansen's walking legs are very animal like this should be perfect!

I am not familiar with PHI. I am going to research it tonight. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Setharoo

I was just saying it's possible to reverse engineer since geometry is geometery in this case. I threw in a couple observations of what I saw in video at the link you provided.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Thank you Enlightenup. I didn't mean to belittle your suggestion if that is how I sounded. I did take a still frame from the youtube video and graph it out in a CAD program using standard angles as you mentioned. I am just curious about Jansen's actual measurements. I have no idea if the videos on youtube are an exact measurement of his original design. Appreciated!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
here is a bio of theo:
Theo Jansen

And a "live" presentation video on TED of a walking creature: (first 25 seconds are commercial)
Strandbeests

Enjoy!

new topics

top topics

join