It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Forum Quality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Okay, still a new-guy so I hope this is in the right topic.

I've seen a lot of responses in various threads that are talking about the quality of ATS going down. Usually in the realm of "threads like this..." followed by something that sounds relatively irritated. There's also the converse, but it's all so mixed up that I decided to start a thread in which people can discuss what sorts of topics and threads can be made to increase the quality of ATS.

I think we can all agree that "Stop Hoaxing!!!" is pretty much guaranteed on that list. As well as people making threads without having evidence to back up claims for several hours or days.

But what else can be included in this? Or is the random silliness part of what makes ATS worth coming back for?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I don't think the random silliness, endless "Im an alien/ghost/spirit walker/time traveller" posts and other nonsensical goings on do any good.

If we could find a better way to hand these types of threads it would help a lot :

-god is real because
-god is fake because
-i am god because
-disprove/prove popular thing XYZ "forever"
-coming clean / sharing my secret knowledge about
-secret knowledge to be released at a future date
-secret knowledge but can't tell you what and im scared for my life
-look at this amazing ufo video which i swear isn't cgi/a bird feeder/flash ligh/child's toy

These post are just white noise and throw everything off.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Yeah I'm with you OP.

We need to get rid of all these silly conspiracy theories and start getting back to the facts.

here is no point in trying expose something over the internet - that's not tangible proof, that's not substantial evidence.

I for one think we need to start distancing ourselves from these strange ufo/conspiracy types and start getting back to the things we can prove IRL.

Structures on the moon and mars, ufos chased by helicopters, strange animals, NWO, aliens, governmeant documents,conspiracy theories et al..... Is this what we have become?

Edit: To Say: Every day it becomes more and more clear to me that this site is some sort pf Haven for Conspiracy Theorists - although I have yet to establish proof, and when I do I'll create a thread about this massive conspiracy of conspiracy theorists....

[edit on 18-8-2008 by TruthTellist]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Yall do know what board your on right? Above Top Secret = Alternitive Topic Discussion?

Everything that you have described as wanting to stop is the exact reason that some people are here. Just because you don't believe in a subject does not mean someone else shouldnt.

The site owners have spent long hours creating a place for alternative theory to be discussed. This isnt like any other board on the internet. It has the best staff around.

Just remember Deny Ignorance, please! Remember what this site is all about.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I tend to actually agree with you, I think that having this wide range of topics is important for the board. But so many people have said things like what I descriped in the OP that I thought I'd open it up to discussion as I couldn't recall a specific thread on the subject.

Though that doesn't to have worked out all that well, honestly.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I seriously get the feeling that 60%+ of the people here aren't a day over 15 because that's exactly what they act like.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LoveKnowledge

My God not a day goes by when part of me doesn't wish & pray I could count myself among that 60%! I would kill for that type of freedom and lack of responsibillities again.

To the OP, I haven't been here all that long myself (though around here 4 1/2 months makes a guy look like a veteran it seems.) I have, however, seen this exact same thing on other boards over my years on the net. All of these "ATS is going downhill, it used to be better" posts are nothing more than nostalgic rose colored glasses memories of the past. I'm sure if you went back through the history of the site that this is a continuous complaint from members. It's all selective memory and centers on the idea that everybody views the past with alot more sunshine & farts than they saw it with when they were actually living it way back when.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Nice, I didn't actually consider that possibility. There haven't been a lot of responses but I'm glad to see that the few that are here gave good input!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
One of the areas on this site with the absolute BEST participation and quality is the Debate Forum. If you are willing to put in the effort and dedication and really want to see the best that this site has to offer. I would suggest requesting your Fighter Status and get a challenge match going with one of the great fighters there.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Trying to limit what people post actually makes the forum worse. Why cant you separate the good posts from the bad yourself? Do you really need someone else to do it for you?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Certainly not, I do that all on my own, but I wanted to see other opinions. Curiosities sake? That sounds about right.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I think OPs should bear a level of point responsibility. If you open up a thread claiming to have evidence and don't, you get docked points. If you start a thread with ridiculous stories and these stories get shot to hell and back, you get docked points. If you start a thread and then mysteriously bail out of the discussion or refuse to engage questions related to your own OP, you get docked points.

Maybe that would curtain the amount of useless fluff here.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thrashee

Maybe that would curtain the amount of useless fluff here.

Do you have any idea how far in the negative I would be?

A points black hole would open up affecting everyone within 6 letters of my username.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthTellist
Yeah I'm with you OP.

We need to get rid of all these silly conspiracy theories and start getting back to the facts.

here is no point in trying expose something over the internet - that's not tangible proof, that's not substantial evidence.

I for one think we need to start distancing ourselves from these strange ufo/conspiracy types and start getting back to the things we can prove IRL.

Structures on the moon and mars, ufos chased by helicopters, strange animals, NWO, aliens, governmeant documents,conspiracy theories et al..... Is this what we have become?

Edit: To Say: Every day it becomes more and more clear to me that this site is some sort pf Haven for Conspiracy Theorists - although I have yet to establish proof, and when I do I'll create a thread about this massive conspiracy of conspiracy theorists....

[edit on 18-8-2008 by TruthTellist]

This is sarcasm. I thought this was a joke thread. WOW!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthTellist

ahhh okay, now I;m with ya. No it's not a joke, as much as it is looking for opinions on something i've seen SO much of in my little time here.

top topics

join