It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain And Obama: Today’s Big Showdown Over Faith

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Tonight at 8PM ET, McCain and Obama will appear on television to discuss matters of faith. It will be shown on MSNBC, FOX, CNN and others.

It should be very interesting. Rev. Rick Warren will moderate.

Keep your eye on a perhaps politically pivotal, highly-publicized event tonight that could potentially make a tight Presidential race a less tight: presumptive party nominees Republican Sen. John McCain and Democratic Senator Barack Obama will be wooing the religious vote in a major, televised joint appearance at a well-respected pastor’s church. Will one stumble? Will one hit a home run?

Just look at the media hype, only this time it apparent is not hype. The AP:

The Rev. Rick Warren is so prominent and respected that just being seen with him is a boon for any presidential candidate.

For Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama, their appearances at a forum Saturday night at Warren’s evangelical California megachurch bring risks along with rewards.

The event will play to one of Obama’s strengths, talking about his Christian faith, but it will also underscore the gulf between his views and those of the most conservative Christian voters.

Many of McCain’s positions are more in line with the evangelical worldview, but he is uncomfortable — and some critics say unconvincing — while talking about his personal beliefs.
themoderatevoice.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I want to see this, but I have a feeling it's going to just be a pissing contest about who's closer to God and that will surely make me sick. I'm curious to see how they both handle themselves on the same stage, if not at the same time.

I heard that every protestant sect besides Evangelicals tend to support Obama rather than McCain. McCain has the Evangelical vote.

Interesting, the mix of religion and politics. This is a show of religious fitness and aptitude, for completely political reasons. :shk:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I have this set to record since I'm going to miss it tonight, but it definitely looks to be worth watching.

I hate how no elected official can get that way without proclaiming their love of religion, it's a slap in the face to the founding fathers. But that's what the US has turned into and if the candidates have to play into it, so be it.

join