It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor: some infringement on constitutional rights is OK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Officers armed with military rifles have been stopping and questioning passers-by in a neighborhood plagued by violence that's been under a 24-hour curfew for a week.

"Now if somebody wants to sue us, they have an option to sue, but I'm fairly certain that a judge will see it the way the way the citizens see it here," Mayor James Valley said. "The citizens deserve peace, that some infringement on constitutional rights is OK and we have not violated anything as far as the Constitution."

Read Article

Why isn't this piece of crap being arrested and prosecuted?

[edit on 13-8-2008 by Scorched Earth]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

What he does seem to have violated is the Posse Comitatus Act. The act that prohibits men and women of the Uniformed services from engaging in local, state or federal law enforcement.

This is one to watch. Nice post.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
How do morons like this get elected?

"As far as I'm concerned, at 3 o'clock in the morning, nobody has any business being on the street, except the law," Councilman Eugene "Red" Johnson said. "Anyone out at 3 o'clock shouldn't be out on the street, unless you're going to the hospital."

What if people are going to or from work? I wonder if they will harass them too.

Seriously, just fire the entire local government and be done with it.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Sounds like many of or the out spoken residents have decided to give up their freedom.

However, such stops likely violate residents' constitutional rights to freely assemble and protections against unreasonable police searches, said Holly Dickson, a lawyer for the ACLU of Arkansas who addressed the council at its packed Tuesday meeting. Because of that, Dickson said any convictions coming from the arrests likely would be overturned.

So when it is all said and done the bad guys won't be paying. I suppose they will be hiring more police to continue the 24 hour watch forever.

[edit on 8/13/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Sounds like many of or the out spoken residents have decided to give up their freedom.

Which is exactly why this nation is screwed. Too many people willing to let government take care of them. Personal responsibility is dead, and so is freedom.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

What he does seem to have violated is the Posse Comitatus Act. The act that prohibits men and women of the Uniformed services from engaging in local, state or federal law enforcement.

This is one to watch. Nice post.

May I point out that Bush-et-al have suspended Posse Comitatus... It's gone like Habeas Corpus, the right to a fair and speedy trial (Enemy Combatant), and many other things our country used to stand for.

top topics

join