It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Escape Now" popup.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
What is with the 'escape now' popup that I receive from the main page of this site every so often? Just curious.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
There is no pop-up advertising on the main site homepage.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
There is no pop-up advertising on the main site homepage.

You could have spyware that activates every now and then. I have heard of some that can appear no matter what site you are on.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Only with abovetopsecret.com, the main page, I get a popup that simply states "Escape Now!", it doesn't link to anywhere and then goes away after 2 seconds. Odd.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I have been assured that none of the advertisements through the banners on the main site incorporate spyware of any kind.

Also, there is no code on the index page that launches pop-ups, so the source of these must be elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
My wife's computer was kicking up pop-ups on a couple of pages that I knew wouldn't have anything like that in their content. Turns out she had picked up some ad-ware from who knows where, and she is a pretty careful surfer. It never hurts to check with something like Spybot or AdAware. There is even a little java based scan (not very thorough) at this website:
www.doxdesk.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
I have been assured that none of the advertisements through the banners on the main site incorporate spyware of any kind.

Also, there is no code on the index page that launches pop-ups, so the source of these must be elsewhere.

Maybe like his computer.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
What you are seeing I believe is a popup for one of the following

Orbitz, Travelocity, or one of those damn travel sites. Anyways, it is spyware, and you should run SPYBOT Seek and Destroy (freeware, found through google). This will remove it. I was getting it too, and ran spybot and it is now gone. I too only got that particular one on the main page of abovetop secret. It appears to look in the history of your system and come up on the top five frequented sites you visit.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
That is good news - a travel agency popup. When you visit a conspiracy forum and you see "Escape Now!", it can some predictably strange disappearances of members. Thanks all - I will now throw away my escape plan.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
There are utilites and tools that can get rid of those pesky pop-ups. Netscape and Opera have built-in blockers. Win XP is supposed to have a fix this summer that will include a blocker.
Go to PCWorld.com or a similar site. These reputable sites offer downloads to block those ads.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
...just thought I'd jump in to inform those who don't know yet that google-toolbar does a damn good job a blocking pop-ups.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The google toolbar is awsome!! And does searches too !

But I know of that pop-up on the main page, and it wasnt spyware on my pc.

[Edited on 15-3-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Escape now...CheapTickets on the site home page, is not a popup.

Instead it is an embedded image that expands on a mouseover, of the rotating banner ad at the top of the page.

Seems like the advertisers have found a way to get 'more' in your face.

This only happens when the CHEAPTICKETS banner rotates unto the front page.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I use Mozilla Firefox so no popups and it has a built in google search field. For spyware removal I would recomend add-aware.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
This isnt a popup, turn your blockers on,
goto the main home page of ATS,
refresh the page until the CHEAPTICKETS banner shows up in the top right.

Then mouseover it and view the 'not-pop-up's'.

Kinda neat trick getting a 468 x 60 banner ad
to expand to 7 times it's size, and not be blocked by blockers.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
...just thought I'd jump in to inform those who don't know yet that google-toolbar does a damn good job a blocking pop-ups.

Unless it's been scaled back the google toolbar is spyware.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
googlebar is spyware, but that action can easily be turned off in the options.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I thought it was an emergency warning to leave my job now. So, I did.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
I thought it was an emergency warning to leave my job now. So, I did.

*and they wonder how the Republicans were able to access the Democrat's computer systems*

Repugnants hacked & monitored Dems computer for a year

join