It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop demands free coffee, but not at this Starbucks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Cop demands free coffee, but not at this Starbucks

www.suntimes.com

Talk about jonesing for a cup of coffee.

A Chicago Police officer has been suspended and ordered into counseling after she was found guilty of demanding free Starbucks coffee from six different stores on the North Side from 2001 to 2004, sometimes flashing her badge, displaying her gun and screaming at employees.

A Chicago Police officer has been suspended and ordered into counseling after she was found guilty of demanding free Starbucks coffee from six different stores on the North Side.

Officer Barbara Nevers of the Belmont police district was suspended for more than 15 months, according to records the Chicago Police Board released Thursday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-8-2008 by round_eyed_dog]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This hits home a bit for me as my wife is a Starbucks general manager, and could easily have been at a store where this nutjob tormented.

Why wasn't she fired? I guess I'm being naive.

www.suntimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
How is it she was allowed to get away with it for so long before they did anything about it? I would have thought red flags would be raised the first time they got a report about it, let alone allow her to continue.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Starbucks and Chigaco should demand a decent calibre of law enforcement officers in at least six precincts.What is it withe police in the US at the moment ?Judging by the stories you hear on a daily basis they seem to be in the grip of some lind of collective form of madness and are exhibiting extremes in behaviour an brutality ie;the tasered teen and I think a lady holding a baby was killed by a police officer.Insane,how do they manage to get away with these things,corruption?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It's just standard police behaviour these days, these people are the norm, and the good cops are now the minority.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I can see counseling for demanding free coffee, but displaying her gun is a fire-able offense.

Does the Chicago PD really want to be responsible for this nutcase?

I have friends in PDs and the California Highway Patrol.
They won't accept freebies and make a point to pay for whatever they get.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Interesting, this lady cop most have been on a jittery rampage for coffee
either that or she needs to be detox from caffeine.

I have been caffeine free for 5 months already and I have to tell you, three days after I went cold turkey I ended up in the emergency room, it was not funny.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

...sometimes flashing her badge, displaying her gun and screaming at employees.

And even after she's caught, the special treatment continues. There's a term for what she did, only the term is not applied when it's a cop who's accused. If you or I walked into a retail establishment, displayed a gun, and screamed at the employees of said establishment, demanding free merchandise, they call it armed robbery, and we go directly to jail. A few months later, security camera footage is shown to a group of 12 individuals, then we go to prison to start serving our sentence. She gets counseling...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Why wasn't she fired? I guess I'm being naive.

No, you are right.

If any one of us were caught doing this kind of thing at work we would be fired.
I never did get the whole "paid suspension" deal that most state/federal employees get when they do something they shouldn't.

I pose your question as well...... Why wasn't she fired??? She's obviously unstable....I know, let's give her a gun and authority!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I think asking why she wasn't fired is asking the wrong question. The question I would like an answer to is why wasn't she arrested?

top topics

join