It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying to find out info on a WW2 soldier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Hi,
Not sure if in right area so sorry in advance!

Haven't posted in a LONG time, but anyway.

I was talking to my local RSL Military Museum Curator which I donated most of my Australian Army equipment (they needed modern stuff so I just gave it to them) and I mentioned ATS and the FOIA documents for some reason. Michael then ran off and came back with a name of an Australian soldier that he has been researching for a while but has found gaps in his history.

His name was "Reginald Winnington Claude Harington" - yes a long classic name but hey it was the 40's.

He was based in Woomera (spelling),Australia where the US military were testing guided missile systems. The curator said there were many gaps in his official record particularly when it concerns his whereabouts from base to base (with OFFICIAL missing areas where he would 'appear' at unrelated bases).

I know it's not much to go on and I have done a bit of searching on my own but never heard anything conclusive. The rumor was he was working on experimental aircraft aswell. I have no idea on his rank or corps (I shall find those out when I see curator next).

Just thought I would put it out there, someone would remember a name like that I'm sure.

Regards,
Zeeko

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeeko

Try This site:

naa12.naa.gov.au...

Title
HARINGTON REGINALD WINNINGTON CLAUDE : Service Number - QX29682 : Date of birth - 24 Feb 1908 : Place of birth - SYDNEY NSW : Place of enlistment - MONTO QLD : Next of Kin - HARINGTON RUBY
Barcode
4920608 Series number
B883 Series accession number
B883/6
Control symbol
QX29682
Contents date range
1940 - 1947 Extent
Access status
Not yet examined Reason for restriction
Date of decision
1 Jan 1970

www.naa.gov.au...

www.ww2australia.gov.au...

It is way past my bedtime, so I'm going to leave you with that (for the moment) good luck!
I still have some other work to do meantime!

H

[edit on 6-8-2008 by Havalon]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Oh my - thats great! you get a star for that. thanks mate!

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Great, now the guy found his real father. Mum must be on death bed and confessing her sins.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
An more information on him at all mate? Turns out that the lady who asked me about him is his grand daughter.

A suspect thing about him is that the way he died was by some form of cancer due to exposure, was getting 'bad' skin cut off all the time. And the fact he was at Woomera at the time there was some missile tech testing going on makes me wonder what kind of exposure he got (other than sun).

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Hi Zeeko,
I hadn’t forgotten about old Reggie, but I have been busy!

Okay, now in 1946 the US atomic tests took place on Christmas Island,

I have found a clip of it on youtube:

Christmas Island 1946:

Now (as I understand it) a lot of Australian service personnel were involved in these ‘tests’ – whether Reggie was at this test we can only speculate, but the dates fit in with his service record. 1940 -1947 extended.

Also within this time frame:

1946 The UK ambassador to the UN quietly approaches Doc Evatt about Australian involvement in a atomic bomb & missile program. He further suggested that it would be based in Australia. Evatt is excited by the idea & believes that Australia will become a world atomic power as a result.
Evatt recommends to Australian Prime Minister Ben Chifley (ALP) to agree to the UK atomic bomb & missile treaty. He stipulates that as part of the deal, Australia should be able to build & maintain its own atomic bomb arsenal. This would ensure Australia world power status on the level with the UK & France.
The Anglo-Australian Atomic treaty is signed between Australian PM Chifley & UK PM Attlee later in the year. It, however, limits Australian ownership of atomic items for only peaceful research purposes. Australia can, though, stockpile the necessary items for this research: namely uranium &/or platinum.
Numerous scientists in the Western World question outright the use of atomic bombs. These people argue that only peaceful purposes should be pursued. Among them are Arthur C. Clarke from the UK & Mark Oliphant of Australia.

Time Line:

Yes, that Arthur C Clarke!!
The following year:

1947 The Anglo-Australian Atomic Agency begins looking for a base in Australia. Several sites are selected & the land reserved by the Australian government. This becomes the world’s largest testing ground stretching from the centre of South Australia to islands off Western Australia. Several Aboriginal tribes are removed from the area, however many also stay.
1948 Woomera, in the centre of South Australia, becomes the HQ for the Anglo-Australian Atomic Agency. Laboratories, enrichment installations, munitions factories, houses, schools & so forth are built in the middle of the desert. The base is served by the largest airport to date in all of Australia. Soon thousands of scientists, military personnel & their families are stationed there. It quickly becomes South Australia’s third largest city. And all this is done in total secret.
At the missile test site, just out of Woomera, the first V2 missiles are tested. Along with their German scientists, the UK & Australians quickly develop better versions of the V2. The first plans for Blue Streak are begun.

Now, to get any further with this you would have to apply for the information under the FOIA - or ask Reggies Grandaughter to apply.
Using some of the information supplied above!

Good luck,
Havalon

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
You might want to check out this site as well!

ESTEA:

The author, Kerrie Dougherty can be e-mailed (just click on the envelope next to the name.)
Some good links off it – the site that is!

H

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Thanks guys! This stuff is fantastic. I'll be sure to try the FOIA route and ask the author aswell. Will post updates!

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Currently waiting on a reply from Kerrie, so fingers crossed!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Hello,

I am the daughter of Claude Winnington Reginal Harington. I am putting toghether a family tree for our family and would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Kind regards,
Glenda Harington.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
^^ Where abouts are you from? I have gathered a bit of info about him. If you have any info regarding his military career I would love to share!

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeeko

Hello Zeeko,

I am the daughter of Claude Harington and very interested you had researched my father who died on the 31st December 1981.

I do not have much more to add, for information when I was young was rather scarce and my father did not convey much.
Kind regards,
Glenda Harington
Coffs Harbour, Australia

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeeko

G'Day Another relative of Cluade Harington, I don't have much information about him but a person who maybe able to help is currently a curator at the Yeppoon RSL (returned services league) in Queensland Australia. I am sure any information that can be exchanged either way will be appreciated. By the way i am curious on why you have an interest in my Grandfather.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
^^^ G'day!

Im well aware of that person and she is who I am doing the research for BTW

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeeko

Hello Zeeko,

The man you speak of is my father being Claude Winnington Reginal Harington.b

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeeko

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
G'day Zeeko
Thanks for asking about RWC Harington for me - I finally got broadband out here and managed to join the site.
I have a little information about RWC and when I tried to research his father John Harington, I hit a brick wall. My relations who have posted here might be interested to know that I have a photo that my mother believed to be of Claude (her father) but it can't be since the uniform the soldier is wearing is WWI Lighthorse. Also, a close examination of the facial features shows some differences but enough similarities to convince people who viewed the photo that it is of Claude. I believe it is of his father John Harington, whom I discovered did not die when Claude was 3 or 4 as the family believed but was divorced from his wife, Dorothy, in (I think) 1918. My reason for asking about Claude (he was known as Claude, not Reg, which is counter intuitive but there you go) here is because of the questions surrounding his military service - my mother was of the opinion that he had something to do with developing rockets or bombs or the like. Also to try to find out what on earth happened to his father, John, I am looking at all avenues that might provide a clue. Thanks again for bringing up this thread, Zeeko, and thanks for the info from the other contributors. I'll keep looking and let you know how I go.

top topics

join