It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Large Hadron Collider [Pics]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Fascinating pics of LHC. 'Large' is a small word to describe it.

www.boston.com...

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC), a 27 kilometer (17 mile) long particle accelerator straddling the border of Switzerland and France, is nearly set to begin its first particle beam tests. The European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) is preparing for its first small tests in early August, leading to a planned full-track test in September - and the first planned particle collisions before the end of the year. The final step before starting is the chilling of the entire collider to -271.25 C (-456.25 F). Here is a collection of photographs from CERN, showing various stages of completion of the LHC and several of its larger experiments (some over seven stories tall), over the past several years. (27 photos total)

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I find any news about the Large Hardron Collider exciting, I think its going to lead to new discoveries for us as a human race as a whole...I don't believe it will destroy us all in a miniature black whole however...that wouldn't be good at all. I believe its a little more than thirty days before it goes live.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
wow that looks really neat. I hope they make things interesting with that huge sci-fi looking freakshow!

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity...

When is the date for the first test again?? I am at work and the LHCcountdown website isnt working here. (stupid flash)

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
LHCCountdown.com wasn't really giving me any information about it, other than they are complete with the cooling down phase of all the sectors I think.

News Source

But it looks like it'll go live in very early September.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mcloud313

First partial beam injection was last weekend, another beam test is foreseen in the opposite direction around 22nd Aug, then full beam test is planned for 10th September.

new topics

top topics

join