It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's Smallest Snake Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This is one tiny snake, discovered in Barbados, is only 4" in length.

It is interesting that the hatchlings of these tiny snakes are often half the length of the adults, when compared to a larger snake where they are more often found at 1/10th size. The scientists claim that the small size allows for only one egg, and the larger hatchling would have a much better chance at survival.

news.bbc.co.uk

The world's smallest snake, averaging just 10cm (4 inches) and as thin as a spaghetti noodle, has been discovered on the Caribbean island of Barbados.

The snake, found beneath a rock in a tiny fragment of threatened forest, is thought to be at the very limit of how small a snake can evolve to be.

Females produce only a single, massive egg - and the young hatch at half of their adult body weight.

Another article on this discovery can be found here:

environment.newscientist.com...

This article also has images of other smallest examples of vertebrates.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Now that is small, pretty cute actually! haha!

It mentioned in the article they eat termites, which I'm sure is a sight to see when their head is about the size of a termite. Then again I remember seeing a video of a snake eating a crocodile whole so I guess they just like a good mouthful!

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
It IS cute! I'm surprised that it lays eggs, though... I'd have expected live birth instead.

join