It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dum Dum, Clip Tip, and backwards bullets!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Let me start off with I do not endorse nor recommend changing any factory made cartridge to anyone, in any way, don't do it, uh uh no way. That said here are tests from someone who did a a little bit of history to go with it.

Now if you find yourself with brown fan blades and on your own, pulling that 9mm and seating it backwards to make a softpoint was not my idea and you were instructed not to do it ever so remember that. I said No.

www.theboxotruth.com...

Remember I said NO! Don't do it.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I love the Box O Truth site. One of my favs.

With that said, there is no reason to reverse the bullet in the round with todays ammunition.

And i quote from the end of that article.

Lessons learned:
1. Cutting "x"s in bullets is harder than you might imagine.

2. It might make them slightly more effective than Ball, but not nearly as effective as modern Jacketed Hollow Points.

3. The .45 ACP did not expand at all. This is probably the result of a much thicker jacket than the 9mm.

4. The lead .38 Special shed its petals, but didn't expand at all.

5. Cutting the end off a rifle Ball cartridge will definitely make the bullet expand or break up. Would this make it more lethal? Probably. But not as much as a modern JSP (Jacketed Soft Point) bullet.

6. Reversing a Ball bullet will cause it to expand and break up. Old Elmer said that it killed game just fine. But Elmer didn't have access to modern JSP ammo. If he had, I'm sure he would have preferred it.

Jacketed Hollow Points and Jacketed Soft Points are much more efficient than reversing all your ammo. And there are specialty rounds made specifically for most applications.

But thanx for posting the good ole box site up Illahee.

Always good to peruse that place.

Silver

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Yes you are correct. I recommend the commercially available soft point hunting rounds in every case. Did think it was unusual that the 30.06 FMJ pointed bullet would generate such a great amount of power from being inverted.

I think that is the only one I have seen so far where the box of truth literaly exploded from hydrostatic shock. Fascinating stuff.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Well if you are hunting here in the republik of Kali the only rounds you can hunt with are solid copper. Its a conservation thing(ya right) but at 50bux a box of 20, seems to me they are trying to get hunters to stop due to cost. Between rounds and licenses, ive spent over 400 bux this year alone and the rifle season hasnt even started yet.

Thank god for archery season.

Silver

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by S1LV3R4D0

It is also the first salvo in the movement towards ammo registration. In order to make registration possible and effective, they're going to have to figure out what to do with the reloaders. If they just came right out and banned reloading, we would revolt in a heartbeat. So, instead of outright banning them, they'll just ban the product of our labor.

Today it's the Condor that's dying from lead poisoning, tomorrow it will be the bears, the eagles, and the other scavengers. Then it will suddenly be that wild birds are dying near outdoor shooting ranges because they're ingesting fragments of lead into their gizzards, so all outdoor use of lead ammunition will be banned. That will probably be sufficient enough to make the majority of hobbyist reloaders stop and they'll simply paint the rest of us as nuts when we flip out over the mandatory ammo registration laws.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

If you want that kind of shock damage then either buy ammo loaded with wadcutter bullets or reload with them. It's a hell of a lot safer.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Yeah, they are nearly useless because a good round's first task is hitting the target accurately. Only after that, is the next task to make sure enough energy is dumped into the soft tissue to incapacitate or kill.

A friend of mine in the sheriff's department once told me, "I knew a guy who got hit in the toe with a dum dum. Blew his arm clean off."

Jon

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel
Yeah, they are nearly useless because a good round's first task is hitting the target accurately. Only after that, is the next task to make sure enough energy is dumped into the soft tissue to incapacitate or kill.

A friend of mine in the sheriff's department once told me, "I knew a guy who got hit in the toe with a dum dum. Blew his arm clean off."

Jon

Thats funny, must have been a .50 caliber dummy round.
Or some one had filled it with nitro.

[edit on 3-8-2008 by Anuubis]

new topics

top topics

join