It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats happened to the once powerful Eastern Europe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Imagine Croatia , Serbia , Kosovo, Slovenia , Macedonia, Bosnia , and Montenegro form into the once proud nation of yugoslavia again... And if all former USSR states/countries form together to again make the superpower of the USSR . Someone needs to show America, Uk etc that Eastern European countries should not be tossed around but none of the current presidents seem to have the balls to do it"
They all are seeming to lean towards the US for support and have all turned Pro-Western. These once proud nations are now looked down on and pityed. Isnt it about time that Eastern Europe and these so called"3rd World Countries" stand up to the big Western Bullys

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kidsnypes

While I understand that you may pine for the "good old days" the truth is that much of Eastern Europe didn't like being run by dictators for the most part. The reasons those countries split up is that they were held together by force not by the will of the people.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about.
Are you referring to the good old days of communism during which no Eastern European country had any autonomy.
Are you pining for the the Austro-Hungarian Empire that preceded it.
Or the great 400 years of the Ottoman Empire ruling over the Balkans.
If you look up the history of the region the Balkans have been under some sort of occupation since the start of written history. Every empire has had to cross the region on their way from Europe to the East and vice versa. During the rare and brief moments in time when the region was free of foreign influence they have been at war with each other.
Such was their state when the communists took over and such was the state they resumed within days of the Berlin wall coming down.
Just so you know, I am part Greek and I'm very familiar with the history of Eastern Europe. So again, I'm not sure I understand what you referring to.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
schrodingers dog I Understand what you mean now
Eastern Europe was constantly run by force and has only enjoyed small times of peace such as the time of Titoism. You've made me realise
Thanks

top topics

join