It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actress Zhang puzzled by China protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Actress Zhang puzzled by China protesters

news.yahoo.com

Zhang Ziyi has told Vogue magazine that she is puzzled by the protests against China's human rights record before the Beijing Olympics.

"I don't see why people are so negative. The games are about friendship," Zhang was quoted as saying in the current issue of Vogue.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
.... hmm...

SHe doesnt understand why people protest? I see the stupidity of Hollywood isnt limited to those that live in HollyWood.

There are several options, and possiblities that are possible here:
A. She is just an average idiot, sheltered by the Chiniese goverment that controls ALL media outlets
B. She is a mouthpeice FOR the Chinese goverement, to try to sway the HollyWood crowd to be pro-Chiniese

Thats all... so lets just hope this no name actress is just a moron, rather then a mouthpeice for the chinese woman.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Honestly, I can see where she's coming from. What, exactly, is the point of a protest in Newark or Winnipeg or Manchester or Perth against these games? What is accomplished, aside from being able to pat one another on the back and feel good about turning out to wave placards at one another?

These Olympics in particular have generated more negative response from the western media than any global event I can remember, with the possible exceptions of the '80 and '84 boycotts - and even in those cases, only the former really had any news coverage, the rationale behind the '84 boycott was largely ignored in the west.

Did the international media run extensive stories about, say, solvent abuse among aboriginal children during the Sydney games? Were there international protests calling for Basque independence in the prelude to Madrid? How about during Salt Lake, were international groups threatening to picket the games over the disparity between whites and blacks in the US penal system, or inner-city poverty?

The media left those all alone, and there certainly weren't demonstrations in NYC for Basque independence.

This time around, the media (especially the Canadian media) seems overly critical of the host nation - to the point of being petty. It's as though the media has decided to dig through the closet for every skeleton they can find, to ... do accomplish what, exactly?

Remember this: Journalism is all about money, period. China is a closed shop, and the media want in - badly. 1.3 Billion potential customers and subscribers. I think what we're seeing here is blackmail of sorts - China is being told to open the doors to privately-owned western media, or else. Big, big money is at stake...

new topics

join