It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAAF instructor found dead at home in Alaska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   

WASHINGTON - The air wing commander at Elmendorf US Air Force Base in Alaska and who was an exchange officer and instructor with the Royal Australian Air Force has been found dead at his home.

Brigadier General Thomas L Tinsley, commander of the 3rd Wing, died of a gunshot wound last night, the air force said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2008-7-29 by primamateria]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
This just seems weird, the story said he died form a gunshot wound, that it is under investigation but there isn't anything suspicious. Maybe committed suicide but why not just say that in the story. Odd.

[edit on 2008-7-29 by primamateria]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Wow. I just left Alaska, though I was at the sister base there.

Here is the news from Elmendorf's website:

www.elmendorf.af.mil...

Elmendorf loses wing commander

Brig. Gen. Tom Tinsley, 3rd Wing commander

7/28/2008 - ELMENDORF AIR FORCE BASE, Alaska -- Brig. Gen. Thomas L. Tinsley, commander of the 3rd Wing here, died of a gunshot wound Sunday at his on-base residence.

Elmendorf medical authorities responded and General Tinsley was declared dead at approximately 10:30 pm June 27. The general had served as the wing commander here since May 2007.

"Elmendorf is focusing on taking care of Mrs. Tinsley and her family right now," said Col. Richard Walberg, 3rd Wing Vice Commander. We ask that your thoughts and prayers go out to his family as well as his Air Force family who regarded him as a mentor, leader, world-class Airman and friend."

The incident is under investigation and more information will be provided as it becomes available.

General Tinsley was commissioned in 1984 through the ROTC program at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and subsequently was a distinguished graduate of undergraduate pilot training. He has served as an F-15 instructor pilot, F-15C test pilot, wing weapons officer, exchange officer and instructor with the Royal Australian Air Force.

He has served in the Directorate for Plans and Policy on the Joint Staff as South Asia desk officer and executive assistant to the Deputy for Political-Military Affairs for Asia Pacific and the Middle East. He has commanded the 12th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, and the 1st Operations Group, Langley AFB, Va.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I'm always really suspicious when someone high-ranking like this dies suddenly. Even if it is a genuine suicide, I tend to think it was a lot more behind it than a tiff with the Misses.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
AP Article

ELMENDORF AIR FORCE BASE, Alaska (AP) — The officer who commands an air force wing in Alaska has died of a gunshot wound that likely was self-inflicted, authorities said Monday.

Brig. Gen. Thomas L. Tinsley suffered a gunshot wound to his chest late Sunday night and was pronounced dead within a half hour, said Col. Richard Walberg, who assumed command at Elmendorf Air Force Base after Tinsley's death.

I don't mean to be nit-picky, but who kills themselves by a gunshot to the chest? It seems to me like it would be a much more excruciating and painful way to die than a just as easily inflicted gunshot to the head.

Are we to beleive that he decided to spend his final minutes (as much as a half hour!) in agonizing pain when he could have ended it all in an instant, as most suicidal people are prone to do?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think it is important to see how the story has morphed as spin begins to be applied. Early reports of the incident were titled -

Posted: 3:24 am
July 29, 2008
ALASKA AF GENERAL SHOT DEAD

Military officials say an Air Force brigadier general has died of a gunshot wound at his home on Elmendorf Air Force Base.

Brig. Gen. Thomas L. Tinsley, commander of the 3rd Wing since May 2007, died Sunday night. His death was reported yesterday.

A statement released by the Air Force says the incident is under investigation.

source

That initial title suggests to me someone other than the General did the shooting. "Under investigation" here could mean the AF is clamping down on the story as their spin doctors go into crisis mode.

Also, I think it is important that the connection between Gen. Tinsley, may God rest his soul, and "his previous 22-month assignment (as) executive officer to the Air Force chief of staff, Gen. T. Michael "Buzz" Mosely, who resigned in June under pressure in an agency shake-up" be explored.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
What a lot of skeptics over there.
The thread understats that no one can commit suicide without being the center of lots of doubts.
Even a president can commit suicide, if he wants to, he's still a human being with emotions, a bad divorce and a boring job, you know...

Anyway, if this guy was in on something, I'm sure somebody is going to speak sooner or later. Wait for news from the cold state. Time will tell

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
....and Ted Stevens was indicted today......weird.
High ranking politician charged with crime. General kills himself.

Am I paranoid or what?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Hmmmmmmmmm.. 1st Operations Group, Langely Va.!!!! Very interesting.

Zindo

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I just left under this Gen. Tinsley's command in October. He was one of the kindest man i have known in my time in the miltary. It didnt matter what rank you were he treated you with respect. It is a shame that he is gone. Its crazy that as i am writing this all i can think about is the times i talked with him, he will truely be missed.

top topics

join