It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Short list of John McCain's position swaps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
"Flip-flops" is getting a bit old, to be honest.

www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com...

Some hi-lights:

14. McCain recently claimed that he was the “greatest critic” of Rumsfeld’s failed Iraq policy. In December 2003, McCain praised the same strategy as “a mission accomplished.” In March 2004, he said, “I’m confident we’re on the right course.” In December 2005, he said, “Overall, I think a year from now, we will have made a fair amount of progress if we stay the course.”

20. McCain staunchly opposed Obama’s Iraq withdrawal timetable, and even blasted Mitt Romney for having referenced the word during the GOP primaries. In July, after Iraqi officials endorsed Obama’s policy, McCain said a 16-month calendar sounds like “a pretty good timetable.”

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by evanmontegarde

Bravo! Nicely put Evan. I like the new term, "flip flop" is getting old, i could not agree more.

I'd like to add to this list, if i may.

McCain swaps positions on the Confederate Flag

McCain swaps positions on Ethanol

...Gay Marriage...

Abortion

Tax Cuts

Iraq timetable for withdraw

Oh i could go on for a while, actually......
But ill stop there for now

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I have to agree with the OP on this one.

A very short list....when compared to Obama!

The difference with McCain "flip-flops" and Obama's are that you can say McCain once had a different position 5-10-15 even 20 years ago, and call it a flip flop.

But Obama's "flip-flops" usually occur within the same month...sometimes the same day.
ie. yes we are going to see the injured troops!....wait....no media...uhhhh no we are not going to see the injured troops. That's Obama for you.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
RRConservative, I encourage you to compile a list of Barack's swaps and see how it compares - Please do so for the benefit of everyone here.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by evanmontegarde
RRConservative, I encourage you to compile a list of Barack's swaps and see how it compares - Please do so for the benefit of everyone here.

I usually don't respond to a direct command, it gives power to the demander. But you did say please!

How about the Top 10 (11) Obama Flip Flops!

thedailyvoice.com...

1. SPECIAL INTERESTS. In January, the Obama campaign described union contributions to the campaigns of Clinton and John Edwards as "special interest" money. Obama changed his tune as he began gathering his own union endorsements. He now refers respectfully to unions as the representatives of "working people" and says he is "thrilled" by their support.

2. THE CUBA EMBARGO. In January 2004, Obama said it was time "to end the embargo with Cuba" because it had "utterly failed in the effort to overthrow Castro." Speaking to a Cuban American audience in Miami in August 2007, he said he would not "take off the embargo" as president because it is "an important inducement for change."

3. ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. In a March 2004 questionnaire, Obama was asked if the government should "crack down on businesses that hire illegal immigrants." He replied "Oppose." In a Jan. 31, 2008, televised debate, he said that "we do have to crack down on those employers that are taking advantage of the situation."

4. DECRIMINALIZATION OF MARAJUANA. While running for the U.S. Senate in January 2004, Obama told Illinois college students that he supported eliminating criminal penalties for marijuana use. In the Oct. 30, 2007, presidential debate, he joined other Democratic candidates in opposing the decriminalization of marijuana.

5. NAFTA. During the primary season, Obama hammered Hillary Clinton for her support of NAFTA as First Lady, calling the free trade agreement "devastating" and "a big mistake." Now, in an interview with Fortune to be featured in the magazine's upcoming issue, the presumptive Democratic nominee said that NAFTA has indeed been positive for the US in some ways, and that his earlier criticism - while trying to convince white blue collar voters in some states to vote for him - was 'overheated and amplified.'

6. THE DEATH PENALTY. Ten years ago, when Obama was running for statewide office in an ultra-liberal Chicago district, he opposed the death penalty. As Obama announced this week, he now supports the ultimate penalty.

7. HANDGUN BAN. For 8 years--before becoming a US Senator--Obama sat on the board of a non-profit which contributed $2.7 million to efforts advocating for a complete ban on handguns. (Before that, Obama filled out a questionnaire in 1996 stating that he supported a ban on the manufacture, sale AND POSSESSION of handguns.) But starting with his primary campaign in the gun popular Midwest, Obama now opposes such legislation, and claims to support gun owner's rights.

8. PROPOSED FISA LAW IMMUNITY FOR TELECOMS. In October, 2007, Obama pledged that if the FISA bill contained an immunity provision for telecoms, he would not only oppose the bill, he would help block it through a filibuster. This week, he voted for the bill, telecom immunity provisions and all.

9. PUBLIC FINANCING FOR OBAMA'S GENERAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN. In November, 2007, Obama issued a written pledge to opt into the public campaign finance system for the general presidential election, if the Republican nominee also did so. John McCain immediately accepted the pledge, which acceptance Obama acknowledged in writing in November 2007. After he became the Republican nominee, McCain opted into the public finance system (as he pledged to do), but Obama broke his pledge and opted out.

10. THE WAR IN IRAQ. In 2004--when Obama was running for the United States Senate-- Barack Obama not only said that he was open to a U.S. troop increase in Iraq, but warned against a premature troop withdrawal as a "slap in the face to the troops fighting there" which could make Iraq "an extraordinary hotbed of terrorist activity." Fast forward to Obama's presidential campaign premised in large part on an immediate withdrawal from Iraq.

and of course #11 Planning on visiting injured troops in Germany, then when he realized there would be no media and he would be treated as a mere Senator, he changed his mind and abandoned the visit (troops).

This site listed 17 Obama flip-flops. I'll put the link here for all to check out at your own inconvience.

www.nelsonguirado.com...

[edit on 26-7-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
2. Happened four years ago

3. Happened four years ago

4. Happened four years ago

6. Happened ten years ago

7. Happened eight years ago

10. Happened four years ago

For someone that touts that McCain has flip flops that are years old, more than half of your Obama flip-flop list is in the four to ten year old range.

Yawn.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

i didnt read them all, my apologies, RR, but i did read the Hand Gun one.

Obama's stance on gun issues has always been "leave it up to the states"

he never flip flopped, remember he was an Illinois senator. Last i checked, Illinois is a state.

Just because he supports a gun ban for here, doesnt mean he's trying to impose his logic on all states if he gets president.

i say again

He doesnt support national gun bans

he does support leaving it up to local governments to decide.

Not even close to a "flip flop"

but nice try.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Off Topic Posts and the Art of Deflection.

This thread is about McCain, not Obama. I thought we had gotten past this. TOPIC PEOPLE!

new topics

top topics

join