It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSG...in shampoo??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Hi there, I was just wondering what your opinion is on this. I've done some reading on MSG (a.k.a. monosodium glutamate) and how bad it can be for your health, etc...so I took the incentive to get rid of all the food in my family's pantry and fridge that contained this ingredient, or any of the other names that contain MSG such as 'autolyzed' or 'hydrolyzed' anything...

Anyway, the other day I was noticing that both my shampoo and shower gel contain 'hydrolyzed protein' and I'm thinking, what the heck? MSG in bath products? So, is this a bad thing? Can MSG be absorbed through the skin? Or am I just weirding out for nothing?

Just thought it was strange. What would the point be to put this junk in bath products?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
You are right to be concerned about what is in your shampoo, shower gel, soap etc. because everything you apply to skin, (and with wet skin the absorption rate is higher and faster) is absorbed by your body and enters your bloodstream. If you really want to eliminate those products from your body you have to buy more natural alternatives.

There are many drugs that are administered through skin application too. You absorb everything that is applied to your skin, make up, hair products, toothpaste, face creams, other skin creams, deodorants etc. You name it your bloodstream is swimming with it.

join