It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Calls Criticism of His Wife "Infuriating"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Obama Calls Criticism of His Wife "Infuriating"

www.huffingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON — What gets under Barack Obama's skin? Criticism of his wife, Michelle Obama.

In an interview with Glamour magazine, Obama said attacks on his wife are "infuriating." The likely Democratic presidential nominee blamed the conservative press for going after his wife as if she were the candidate.

"If they have a difference with me on policy, they should debate me. Not her," Obama told the magazine.

Michelle Obama has been highly active in her husband's campaign, appearing with him at events and by herself at other times in an effort to help tout his candidacy. She promotes his policy agenda at fundraisers and gives interviews to reporters in support of her husband's views.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
It is highly unusual that the spouse of a political candidate is vetted like Michelle Obama. Usually they go on the campaign trail with their partners but they keep, or are given, a low profile (the other exception this year, of course, is Hillary's spouse, Bill Clinton). There was Eleanor Roosevelt in the 1930's, whose political activities drew fire from critics, and there was Jackie Kennedy in the 60's, whose glamour was almost universally admired, but in the main presidential wives are not in the limelight. Maybe because Ms. Obama is such a strong personality in her own right she becomes the subject of so much scrutiny--and criticism.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
if you step into the line of fire you should expect to be shot at, Obama and his wife really needs to toughen up if he ever hopes to gain the presidency especially if she is planning on being in the forefront of his presidency.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
He's "infuriated"?

Oh, well. Tough sh*t.

If she was a stay-at-home mom, or a private businesswoman, and the media and Republicans were busting her chops, Obama might have a leg to stand on.

But she's out there campaigning for him. Like Chelsea Clinton, if you're going to do something like that, you better have a thick skin to take the crap that comes along. Especially when she firmly emplanted her foot in her mouth with the, "First time I am proud of my country" statement.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well Barry O better used to it cause it aint gonna stop any time soon.

This is one of the reasons why I really feel Obama will crack and suffer a nervous breakdown while in office, if he is elected President.
He simply can't handle the pressure and his he certainly won't be able to keep track of his lies.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Why did everyone get upset with Phil Gramm's comments about America being a nation of whiners, when Obama proves it everyday?

Waahhhh!

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
awww...maybe she should go on The View again and bump fists some more. maybe he should consider that people take an interest in who's going to be representing them to the world. maybe like someone said they should toughen up a bit. if they can't handle this, just wait.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Obama himself infuriates me. I don't even think about his America-hating wife when I think of my loathing of him. He needs to get over himself and tell her to watch her mouth.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I feel badly for Michelle, but I agree that they both had better get tough and thick skins. They are the "new thing", the new kids on the block, and running for president has a way of making one very vulnerable. And if they can get at Obama by going after his wife, they will. (As we have seen).

I think they're both very strong and will weather these attacks just fine.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
So this is going to be the issue that we talk about this week instead of the crashing dollar. You know I thought the media was running out of time consuming topics whenever they got a full seven days out of that political cartoon featuring Obama and his wife in terror gear. I guess now that the political cartoon has been played out it's time for another story that avoids the issues and allows Barack to avoid responsibility and gain sympathy all at the same time by playing the victim.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by beaverg]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
As demandred said: "if you step into the line of fire you should expect to be shot at".. I'm so tired of their whining that it makes me sick.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by beaverg

There are plenty of people talking about the dollar, too. If you don't want to talk about Michelle Obama go post in those threads. How about that?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
All I can say is that I'd never like to be the wife of an American politician. Might get in the way of the vodka and the valiums. Worse still, I might have once lived. It's ok, it's all a hoax, I am not the wife of an American politician.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by redled]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by beaverg

There are plenty of people talking about the dollar, too. If you don't want to talk about Michelle Obama go post in those threads. How about that?

I don't see what's so wrong with my comment. The medias double standard that they've applied to candidates partners makes me ill. I see Cindy McCain much more than Michelle when I watch the news and the treatment of her is worse. Michelle may have said America was nothing to be proud of until they elected her husband but that didn't land her on Keith Olbermans worst persons list. But Cindy McCain saying that her husband doesn't want a negative campaign lands her on it. You do see what I mean right?

[edit on 18-7-2008 by beaverg]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The media are propping up Barry and Michelle like never before because they are the darlings of the media, but you can bet as soon as the Obama hype starts wearing off and people finally realize the honeymoon with Obama is over, you can bet the media will start tearing him down.
That's when Obama will call the media a bunch of racists.

Regarding the Obama hype, people will finally come to realize at some point that Obama is just another politician.
Eddie Murphy said it best with his comment, "It tastes just like crackers"

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beaverg

I see your point: Cindy McCain is also in the line of fire. What's interesting to me is that the spouses of the candidates are getting vetted so much in this campaign. Nobody had much--positive or negative--to say about Laura Bush, except possibly the women's magazines. Hillary Clinton didn't get much press until she entered politics with her health care reform proposals. Presidents' spouses usually appear only in the "women's pages."

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
It is highly unusual that the spouse of a political candidate is vetted like Michelle Obama.

Hillary Rodham Clinton.
Teresa Heinz (Kerry).
Cindy McCain.
Jeb Bush's wife (not a 1st lady, but there was talk of him running)

It's not unusual in this day and age.
Especially when the spouse is a mess.

IMHO - Barry just wants his loud mouthed wife to be off limits because he's scared of what she's capable of (and I mean that of her in a negative way).

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Obama is showing that he doesn't have the constitution to be president. Another day, another complaint about how someone badmouthed him or his wife.

Now that the MSM has dropped their velvet glove treatment of him, he will be subject to the same treatment as any other politiian.

Laura Bush was acuused of being a murderous teenager right here on ATS. Did you hear GWB whining about it? No.

I don't feel sorry at all for Ms. Loud Mouth Fist Bump. Things are going to get rougher from here on out, and she deserves every thing she gets. So does her hubby for being such a bald-faced liar.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The following is a short excerpt from the article, "Maybe We Cant: The black case for Obama-skepticism" by Cinque Henderson. It appears in "The New Republic," May 28, 2008 issue (p. 17)

Why do black people love Obama? In large part, it's because of the dark-skinned woman on his arm. Black people (especially black women) are nuts for Michelle. Had Barack married a white woman, his candidacy would've never gotten off the ground with black people. And would whites be so into him if he hadn't had a white mother? Based on U.S. political history, you would have to conclude: not a chance. My suspicion is that people are ultimately comfortable with Obama because a member of his family looks like them--and, if you think about it, that's not terribly transcendent.

IMO, most of the criticism of Michelle comes from Obama's political opponents, so it's to be expected in an election year. But other than the comment, "For the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country," which could be taken the wrong way (there are other ways to interpret that beside the assumption that she hates her country) what do they have against her?

She has been campaigning quite a lot for her husband. If anyone has heard her speak in public, I would be interested in your impressions.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by Sestias]

top topics

join