It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the decent looking, normal, average mid-MPG cars?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I keep seeing 2 opposite ends of the spectrum. It seems like in the news all the time companies are developing these outrageous fuel efficient cars. Some as high as 2-300 MPG. One example is Volkswagen below (200+ within 3 years)

www.autobloggreen.com...

We all know this will never hit mass production.

I also see Prius and these other hybrids that get say around 50 MPG and they are ugly as sin.

If a company can make an ugly car that gets 200 MPG, it would seem like they could make a mass production that looked great and give it 50-60 mpg. Am I wrong in this? It seems like the first company that would pull this off would just destroy the competition. They are looking too far into the future and setting goals too high.

So I guess the question remains....where are they?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you were to choose a car that emphasized form over function, you would have a new understanding of my previous sentence. It sounds like being seen and projecting an image is more important to people than driving something that will allow them to see the benefits of practicality. I am an old man and drive a 38 M.P.G. Japanese built hatchback. I love the little thing and it is far from being an eye catcher. The Model T, or VW Beetle were two cars that were in production for decades and broke sales records that few other models will ever touch, but both were ugly and popular with after market parts manufacturers. I think that people will sooner or later re think their idea of what is automotive beauty, but in the mean time think about after market parts that can add to the eye appeal and performance of what would otherwise be undesirable to you. Good luck on your quest.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I drive the non-hybrid version of this car and I think its pretty good looking.

What we need is full-sized sedans that get the same mpg as these ugly little twerps, without paying so much more for them. In all honesty, most people still aren't saving money in the long-term, so to me, hybrid technology still isn't worth it. I can get around 28 mpg in my Accord, and the Hybrid only gets like 6 miles more for $3,000 more.

I think most small cars are pretty hideous. When they make a Toyota Avalon or a Honda Accord that gets 60-70 mpg, I'll take the plunge into hybrids.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

I understand people will like different looks. But for the "common person" the Prius and Insight aren't really an eye catcher. I drive an Accord and realize that there are hybrids out there. But when I see news that all these developers are working on 200-300 mpg cars, it just strikes me as odd and I cant help but think they are missing the target market. A good looking car that gets 60 or 70 mpg would no doubt be huge.

I also heard on ATS about a guy who is building a mustang that gets around 90 mpg. This guy has the right idea.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
"it would seem like they could make a mass production that looked great and give it 50-60 mpg"

Yeah it's called a deisel Jetta with 6 speed stick shift.Europe has had them for YEARS! HEck as long as you buy a car with a stick shift MPG in any car hovers in the 35-45MPG. You don't need anything bigger than a 4 banger anyway.

Just stop buying all the crap that the US auto industry is making.

top topics

join