It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is This All a Dream?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Could it be that we are all just an imagination of somones dream?
Could all life be in my imagination
I.e i know im real or least feel real but how do i know any off you are real?
I could just be an imagination off myself in a dream, and when i die i wake up and its just another day in whatever world i live in
Sound crazy?
How do you know im real, you could just be an imagination off yourself in your own dream
And the thing is we'll never find out , how do we find out weather reality is real or not?
Sorry if this seems a little odd, just somthing is telling reality is not all off what it seems latley

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
It is more likely that we are living in a computer simulation:

www.simulation-argument.com...

ABSTRACT. This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Whose to say the 'sims' don't ask the same question in the 'sims' games, or the little soldier in EA games 'battlefield' series? Maybe they have 'families' and thoughts before someone frags their little backsides?
and if life IS a dream , Mines a nightmare. and I can't wake up....

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Feeling like the Matrix, eh?

One of the first steps to get to really know yourself and everything around you is to ask questions. Keep pondering and positing.

In the meantime go on YouTube and look up "Return to the Source: Philosophy of the Matrix."

I think you'd really enjoy the philosophy side of it all, and the discussion.

One of the guys in the documentary looks like he might be Terrance McKenna's son, but I'm not sure.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
and what if life is all a dream but when we dream we actually wake up for a period of time

after all you can do anything you want in your life go crazy and take w/e opputunities you want, like an complex video game, but fear is the only thing holding you back.

life could be a complex video game which you "play" or live in because you wanted to experience life. life is as real as a game if you think about it, because what you did in your life does not carry on after you die

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
nice post man I have been asking the same question for years

It all goes back to the brain in the vat, are you a brain in a vat? how do you know you are a brain in a vat because the computer will tell you that you are sitting behind a computer screen on ATS and not that you are a brain in a vat, therefore, you will not know the truth or will know the truth

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I've often wondered if everything was just a dream....especially after waking up from a particularly vivid dream and wondering, which was REALLY the dream? Although it's kind of a depressing idea to consider. Reminds me of the old Twilight Zone episode where a couple wakes up in a strange abandoned town, realized that everything (trees, animals) are fake, and then we see that they're actually in a 'dollhouse' on another planet, where alien beings are 'playing' with them..

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Replikant

Have you ever had a "fale awakening"? Where you wake up from a vivid dream only to find out that you are still asleep? That will blow your mind....

I can't believe there are two topics like this today. My goal for the night was to write up a thread on a similar topic. I probably still will, but it is still funny that others found it appropriate to make similar threads at the same time that I did.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I believe that we are consciousness that continually dreams. When we die, we simply wake up in another dream. Being holographic we are the whole. Every thing we see is ourselves. We are not our bodies. We are consciousness that is dreaming that we are in a body that gets older and dies or dies another way, but dying is the chosen way to exit this dream and enter the next, over and over.
We can expand our consciousness at any time and come to know that we are dreaming. It's like being in a Lucid Dream and knowing that we are dreaming and yet we cannot leave the dream until it is over, but we can learn to have more control over it if we want to.
Just my opinion from what I've experienced.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by Replikant

Have you ever had a "fale awakening"? Where you wake up from a vivid dream only to find out that you are still asleep? That will blow your mind....

I have - had a "false awakening", that is. Twice, I think.
And it was really interesting: totally uneventful, as "real life" usually starts when one wakes up, and so vivid it couldn't be distinguished from a "real" awakening... until I woke up for the second (?) time. I even remember every thought I had in that other "wakefulness".

I wish I could tell more, but can't spare the time right now.
However, people interested in such topics might like to read some of my previous threads, especially this one:

Life as a set of dreams

(I don't think it was well understood. My mistake.)

r this one:

How to live in a simulation

This one is tangentially related to it:

Can you change your time-line?

(And if you rummage around my profile, I am sure there will be many more.
)

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
If we can create virtual worlds effortlessly as we sleep, surely the universe would function in a similar fashion rather than going through some arcane process ala big bang and having a 1 in trillion (or whatever odds) chance of life appearing out of the primordial muck. Besides, consciousness would need to exist in order to start the process anyway.

Dream... simulation... same thing. Except the code isn't in 1s and 0s, it's geometry.

To put it simply, I think this life is a shared dream.

I started a similar thread a while back which was a fun brainstorming session regarding the subject: Is life a dream?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kruel

However did I miss your thread?
(Oh, I get it: I was in a different time-line at the time. :-)

Very good thoughts.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE
Could it be that we are all just an imagination of somones dream?
Could all life be in my imagination
I.e i know im real or least feel real but how do i know any off you are real?
I could just be an imagination off myself in a dream, and when i die i wake up and its just another day in whatever world i live in
Sound crazy?
How do you know im real, you could just be an imagination off yourself in your own dream
And the thing is we'll never find out , how do we find out weather reality is real or not?
Sorry if this seems a little odd, just somthing is telling reality is not all off what it seems latley

i used to wonder the same thing...but I took it further. As a little girl who played barbies and house, I started to wonder if we are in fact just little toys that some big giants are playing with. sounds so stupid but I really thought it was a possibility. I suppose big giants could resonate better with God or gods. haha.

new topics

top topics

join