It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Arabs considered White?!?!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Ok, this question is about race in America. On the U.S census Arab's, East Indians and People from North Africa are considered White!!! So the demographics in this country are nothing but another farce put together by the people in power. So when you look at all of the numbers that talk about white people being in the majority is false. Unless you really consider people that are darker than me White. I think they use things like the census to falsify information and divide the nation.

What do you all think about this?

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Why do you say that? Because there is not a listing for "Arab" or "Middle Eastern" on the sheet?
Thats where the "other" races come in .

www.census.gov...

Here is an interesting article that speaks about "race"

www.eurekalert.org...

And surely you know that A LOT of the forms that are returned people just put BS on them. One guy, under occupation put "Professional Killer"
Took the goverment something like 5 years to pay him a vist, only to find out he was a pest exterminator. (I'll find the link if you don't believe me)
Anyway..how many of those marked, (ANY race) are really that race. You would have to go house to house, look under bridges, halfway houses motels/hotels (people use them as a residence)
and so on to get an accurate count.

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   
"White" is not an ethnic background. Just like "Black" can refer to a wide variety of people, not just Africans. However, I would not be suprised if in the near future we saw the "Middle Easterner" block being put on questionaires.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
Why do you say that? Because there is not a listing for "Arab" or "Middle Eastern" on the sheet?
Thats where the "other" races come in .

www.census.gov...

Here is an interesting article that speaks about "race"

www.eurekalert.org...

And surely you know that A LOT of the forms that are returned people just put BS on them. One guy, under occupation put "Professional Killer"
Took the goverment something like 5 years to pay him a vist, only to find out he was a pest exterminator. (I'll find the link if you don't believe me)
Anyway..how many of those marked, (ANY race) are really that race. You would have to go house to house, look under bridges, halfway houses motels/hotels (people use them as a residence)
and so on to get an accurate count.

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by NetStorm]

Humm when I filled out the census last time it didn't look like that. It said check white for North Africa, East Indian and Middle eastern. Humm I wonder if it was in 2000. They must of just changed it. Well good becuase for a long time it wasn't that way. Good Find

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by DaTruth]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Whites in this country are a mix of several european ethnic backgrounds. Thus, we only have white.

Its odd that Koreans and Chinese and such are listed as seperate "races" since they are all Asians.

Listing Arabs as "white" is erroneuous based on an outdated race classification that threw all of humanity under three races: white, black, and asian. Arabs and middle easterners are thier own seperate group, east indians are south asian, so on and so forth. stupid it is, but thats the way it is. They need to wake up and smell the 21st century.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Hispanics are also counted as white. Racial demographics are extremely deceiving.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I take great joy in checking the box marked "OTHER" since I don't fit into any of the other categories

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I think we should abondoned the archaic color system and go with an easily understood beverage system:

For instance: Vanessa Williams - Mocha

Samuel L. Jackson - Espresso

Osama Bin Laden - Ovaltine

See how it works?

EDIT: Sorry x before p except after E

[Edited on 3-16-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I think we should abondoned the archaic color system and go with an easily understood beverage system:

Samuel L. Jackson - Expresso

See how it works?

LOVE IT!!!! Put me down for "Caramel"

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Samuel L. Jackson - Expresso

See how it works?

I would take offence to that....But it was so damn funny

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I think (at least after a week in Aruba) I currently qualify as a Cafe Latte with extra cream - and whipping on top.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Arabs are actually semites, not just reserved for the jews.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Arabs are considered white because they are not black. They decendents of the people who lived in mesepotamia and migrated around the region, like the hebrews.

In Egypt there ARE back egyptians, but these are not the same as the Arabic ones.

Like Intrepid says they are all semites.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
isnt it more like black or brown.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Uhmm.

The official races are.

Black-African Decent
WHite-European Decent
Mongol-American(continent) decent
Oriental

And, Is HIspanic also classed in this?

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Sorry, there is not a race Oriental. This is in the "Mongol" group.

join