It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested for unlawful photography of a cop!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I saw this on the news tonight and thought I would share it with everyone here at ATS.

Nearly everyone carries a cell phone and it’s hard to find one without that camera feature. It’s convenient when you want to take that impromptu photo, but a Tri-Cities area man ended up behind bars after snapping a shot of a Johnson County sheriff’s deputy during a traffic stop.

Here's the link for this article and video.

www.tricities.com...

So what do you think?

[edit on 7/12/2008 by BroonStone]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
If someone doesn't want their picture taken, I can understand that. I've actually had a friend who had his camera taken by some lady because he took her photo.
But to arrest someone for that is just a little bit extreme.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Yeah, I thought it was a bit extreme as well. I can understand not wanting your picture taken but if it is taken in a public place then it is legal.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
He'll get a nice check for this. Sad thing is most people simply would have said "yes sir, Ill erase it" and considered themselves happy to be let go.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
wow is this guy going to be rich. this is the best thing thats ever happened to him. this cop is screwed if this guy gets any sort of an attorney. The police dept deserves to go bankrupt for trying to sweep something like this under the carpet. and it may actually serve as a notice to all the other cops out there that do this.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
As the law stands what could they possibly charge him with.
Not wanting your photo taken and getting it taken, are 2 different things.
Look at the press everyday chasing people hounding them.
They don't need any permission.
What can you ever be charged with for taking a simple photo.
Under any democracy.Unless its a martial law style communist rule.
This man would have some recourse for legal action I would think.
But the problem with that is, its the tax payers that will be paying him.
Not the corrupt cop who did it.This is where they get you with a double whammy.
We do wrong to you, you sue us, haha ok, its you who will be paying for it.
Not us.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by Being_From_Earth]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Hello anyone? You Americans call it "first amendment"? When you are in public with no reasonable expectation of privacy you can film anything or anyone, even a dumb officer.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
So law enforcement agencies all over the country are permitted to place cameras on street corners, on traffic signals, parking lots.

They can photograph us ALL DAY LONG. Dozens of times per day, Without our permission.

But when the lens points the other way..they get camera shy. LOL

I know a professional photographer who had his camera taken, stripped of it's memory card, then thrown on the ground, because he was photographing an arrest that took place in public. He was roughed up a little too. The courts said he did nothing wrong. The cop was reprimanded, but kept his job.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Looks like the First Amendment only applies when it is the best interest of the authorities.
This is just one example of how our civil liberties are being taken from us!
I think I will photograph every cop I see, just to find out what will happen.

If you think this is an important topic flag it so more ATSers will see it and respond!

new topics

top topics

join