It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so many dark, foreboding, negative avatars?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Is my avatar considered dark?

I'm not sure. It's not my intentions, i know that much.

My question, OP, is why would you send 6 boys and 6 girls (in any grade) down a dark hallway with a sharp turn? Lemme cut to the chase, promoting teenage pregnancy is wrong, simply wrong

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I changed mine to a real picture of me because of this thread. Mine was not evil, just a bad kittty, which I am. Believe it!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I chose the dark elf because at the time I was an avid Everquest player. His head is bowed in mourning over the losses that I and many other have experienced. As long as there are losses, he will be in perpetual mourning. Although my avatar is male, I am female.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

There's always the Rainbow unicorn with your name on it.

reply to post by sc2099

I love your avatar and remember laughing at it when I first saw it. And I also agree with your opinion of Gerard Butler. *drool*

Except shouldn't it say 'You shall not pass?' Honest question- I haven't seen the movie in a while.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
an avatar is an expression of the hidden self...

just by being a hidden, secretive ...ones' psyche released as an avatar
is constrained by our normal standards to reflect the occult ('hidden' as opposed to 'sinister') nature of its' existance. We intentionally choose
the 'darker' outward appearances because we -in the cyber & web world-
stll maintain that certain 'personal space' or distance from others...

I do not willingly bump shoulders with others, it is because the elevator is crowded that I even temporarily give up that space and in effect put down my guard.
One's avatar is what another sees in that crowded elevator
(ATS is just another crowded elevator)

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

I thought it was Nightcrawler from the X-Men.

Plucky is confused.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
There's always the Rainbow unicorn with your name on it.

You mean this one...

Yeah...you're fired...

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   

If you would have had that avatar when we debated, it would have gone much easier on me...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Semper

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Yes, it should say that. But I didn't make the pic; I just use it
. I'm glad someone besides me found it funny!

and BTW, great job on MemoryShock's new avatar. It is AWESOME! lulz...

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
If you would have had that avatar when we debated, it would have gone much easier on me...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Semper

I would have had won even more...you wouldn't have been able to stop laughing..

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   

I knew you had guts.

reply to post by semperfortis

Funny. MS said the same thing HERE. hehe

[edit on 7/12/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

You're brave. I had a real picture of myself when I belonged to a forum which was much, much less mature than this one. When the flaming uses your own picture it crosses the line. I won't make that mistake again. Besides, when you put your face on the internet it can end up haunting you in ways you never thought possible years later. Call me paranoid...

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Isn't an avatar just interpretation?

Much like a painting, or the worshack test, interpretation gives it meaning and power, not the other way around.

If a schitzo saw a picture of a puppy sitting on a black couch, could that mean that he would see a black hole sucking in this said puppy? Possibly.
Or he could just see a puppy sitting on a couch and it is us who will see a dark foreboding background.

Horrible example I know, but interpretation is up to each person. What one person see's as dark and scary might be beauitful or enlightening to others.

My avatar is just my favorite character from an old White Wolf card game I used to play, it doesn't mean I want to cut your head off with a big sword because I have a black background. I just wanted blue lettering, and black makes it show up better.

King

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
reply to post by darkelf

I thought it was Nightcrawler from the X-Men.

Plucky is confused.

I totally thought it was Nightcrawler too. I guess that's what I get for assuming.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I'm thinking that as long as that avatar remains on my profile....it totally demeans the topic...perhaps?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Not even 24 hours? Wimp!

Just teasing...

But it does give your first comment on this thread a whole new meaning!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Why do you think that I chose...or rationalized...a Friday night to do that?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Well, in case the OP is still in the thread, great question, I would venture to think that ATS is a pretty sensitive site to visit, and as much as it might be fun to think that one is just coming to discuss things of an esoterical or conspiratorial nature at this site, these type of subjects involve a lot of people's interest and money. To get to my point, If the powers that be, for the moment, believe the internet to be an ''enemy weapon's system'' and i believe the target of that statement was not just aimed at terrorism, I would send a good portion of pro's armed with negative intoned Avatars to intimidate on public forums (especially this one) to try an gain a psychological advantage. They cannot have people running around with all kinds of information that could individually affect them, (there is a budget for this) so they send soldiers in discreetly to battle from within.

Mind you, I'm not saying all avatars are like that, just a majority of the ones that come out when the more sensitive subjects arise. I've seen it work, But its all just a facade in the end.

Edit- for spelling

[edit on 12-7-2008 by Conluceo]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
My avatar signifies the coming of the antichrist because I am the devil and drink the souls of men. Maybe I just said that to twist your psyche....maybe I didn't....

When hell is full, the dead shall walk the earth...

[edit on 7/12/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Hello friend.

very soon the boon will become illuminated
all petals have bloomed in unison
the fallen one versus the solemn son
all days fade and change as part of the great ancient
stay patient and let go of your complacent face
peel back the mask and ask for forgiveness
heal this place and shape your days

new topics