It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irish man shot dead by US police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   

The family of a 20-year-old Dublin man is trying to establish the circumstances surrounding his death in the US on Monday.

Andrew Hanlon, who is believed to be from Dundrum, was shot dead by a police officer in the small town of Silverton in the northwestern state of Oregon.

Source

Ms Heise said there was a lot of anger about his death in the town, which has not had a shooting for 20 years. She said local residents had held a protest. They were appalled and wanted to know why excessive force was used, she added.

The funeral home had told the family that Andrew had suffered extensive injuries. She asked why a taser was not used instead of a gun.

I have to admit that I don't know too much about the procedures that the police force in the States are supposed to follow in these situations but it does seem bizarre to me that a young man would be shot dead as opposed to tasered. There has been no mention of a weapon being involved but it's understood that the police were aware of the victim's mental health problems.

"I don't understand why the police shot him," she said, adding that local police knew Hanlon and were aware of his mental state.

Source for quote

Another Link

new topics

join