It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

one of my fun flying stories...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
so every summer my family goes upnorth michigan near alpena for anyone who knows where that is... near the 45th parallel on the lake huron (or east) side of the state for anyone else. anyway though, alpena is also an air national guard base in the summer. so i was out flying with my dad, just screwing around because it was perfect flying weather.

so we decide to go fly to the west of alpena. we're listening to alpena's tower freqeuncy when we hear a call to some f-16s to go check up on us. (we couldn't hear the military respond because they do so on a different frequency, even though they do have uhf radios in f-16s). about 45 seconds later two of the fighters go screaming by along side us from out of no where. so i call in saying our call numbers and make of aircraft, just to let them know who we are and whatnot, since they seemed interested.

then my dad decides that we should go fly to the alpena airport. so as we're about 5 miles out a squadron of f-16s comes in. the neat thing about this was they were landing them two at a time, from opposite ends of the runway. two would hand on 36, get clear, and as they were clear two more would land on 18. it was really fun though, they asked up to speed up our approach (since we were doing about 65 knots) so we ended up landing almost half throttle in. as soon as we cleared they landed two more behind us. also, at the other side of the airport there were four f-16s being fitted out for live fire missile exercises.

anyway, that's one of many stories i have. not the best, but i can't start off with the best now can i? if people want more, i'll be glad to share. or if you ahve your own tell me about it! i love flying stories. even if it's the craptastic service of a stewardess (is that p/c? i don't think it is... sorry for lack of a better term).

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Awesome Story. I would love to hear more flying stories.

join