It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vista SP1 removal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Help. I put on the early version of Vista SP1, that expired last night. I've been trying to remove it every way that I've found and it won't uninstall. Every time I try it gets about a third of the way, and stops, and then says uninstall failed. I've tried in safe mode, and I've tried in regular mode. I don't have a restore point anymore from when I installed it. I don't know what happened to my cd from when I got the computer. Now since it's expired my computer keeps shutting itself off and rebooting on me.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
You aren't going to like what I have to say.......format.

Vista is a terrible system with some problems already built in. Even if you were to remove it, there would still be components left behind cluttering up the hard drive. Format with clean install of your old OS is really the best choice.

Just save all the data you want to save, on a flash drive(s) or burn it to CD(s).

I just got Vista off the new notebook I bought and downgraded the software to XP. I have just one driver error on a high definition modem which I do not use.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Before you format, i winder if you tried installing the "final version" of sp1 would help???

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Mon, I have the exact same problem. I got the early version of SP1 from a link you gave me in chat!!!

Now I'm paying the consequences, twice now my computer has crashed on me while I'm playing BF2, everytime I try to go into Standby mode, my computer shuts off.

I already downloaded the final version of SP1, it does not install OVER the early version of SP1, what it says is this "Vista Service Pack 1 has already been installed on this computer."

So... now I have to format and put up with having to reinstall all my programs?

Is there no way around this? I'm curious as to how YOU managed to get around it because I know you installed the same version of SP1. Unless you never did installed the very program you referred everyone in chat to...

I don't mean to press blame really, it's just I'm at the point where I'm frustrated in having been booted twice out of my game online and having to put up with unnecessary boot ups. I'd greatly appreciate a second option to Formatting.

Shattered OUT...

[edit on 2-7-2008 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I also installed that "early" version, and I hadn't any problem installing it, only the time it took.

Ans yes, SP1 will not install over the RC version of SP1, it must be removed prior to the installation of the final version.

top topics

join