It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Year Aniversary of Tunguska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
surprised to see that today is the 100th anniversary of that blast over siberia. even though most scientists believe that it was a meteor that blew in the sky, they are still puzzled why not a single small fragment or crater from debris. geusse that some things will always remain a mystery!

what do people here think or believe?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
i find the tunguska incident rscience.nasa.gov... realy interesting i still dont know what to belive i include a link which may or may not have the answer.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I think if it had happened 5 hours later Moscow wouldn't be there

If it had happened 50 years later, in the Soviet Union, none of us would be here.

Fascinating event - the sheer scale of it is pause for thought because nothing like it has happened since, unless you count the use/testing of nuclear weapons.

Personally I hope we don't see the likes of it again for many hundreds of years, by which time, hopefully, we'll be able to detect such things as they approach and prevent a massive tradgedy

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Thanks to the poster on this thread. I'm ashamed I'd not remembered the anniversary on my own. I've always found this event fascinating.
I hope as the years pass and technology improves.... a more definitive answer to the mystery will emerge.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
An event to be remembered,

I believe it was several decades before outsiders got there to checkout the site.
The event happend over a swamp, and any material left over would have sank into the swamp.
There was a crater actually, but a small one since the event was an airburst. It filled in with water and is now a small lake.
New studies have shown traces of non-terrestrial material in tree ring samples taken from the area.
It was a good example of what a small body could do.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Not sure if it is the same lake you are referring to punkinworks, but there has been some recent news of a possible impact crater found from the event, Lake Cheko. Seems a bit of a longshot but there is apparently some sort of 'anomoly' at the bottom of the lake that a team will try to examine this summer.

news.bbc.co.uk...

top topics

join