It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yoo, Addington, and the House Judiciary Subcommittee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Former Deputy Asst. Atty. Gen. John Yoo wrote a memorandum for the Pentagon, setting the interrogation rules for Guantanamo Bay detainees. He and David Addington, Chief of Staff to V.P. Dick Cheney, appear under subpoena at today's (Thursday, June 26, 2008) House Judiciary Subcmte. hearing on detainee abuse.

C-SPAN coverage of House Judiciary Subcommittee Hearing on Guantanamo Bay Interrogation Rules (currently fifth from bottom of page)

Hearing Information

Did anybody else catch C-SPAN's coverage of Yoo and Addington trying to avoid being charged with war crimes under the Geneva Convention yesterday? I have seldom seen two people talk so much while saying so little. The Committee members were really upset by all the deflection and dissembling going on. The hearing is worth the watching just to see these two worms squirm.

This administration's actions with regard to torture of detainees is indefensible, and the performance put on by Yoo and Addington yesterday underscores that fact with more clarity than anything but an outright admission of guilt. As if that will ever happen.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Thanks for keep us in the loop on this, so much is going on recently that we all need to be very vigilant to avoid missing these things.

I can't wait to watch it reruns.... as soon as I can.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I saw it!!!
Addington was getting pissed! He does look like a guy who would hang with Cheney does he not? He says that he doesn't feel "morally or ethically responsible" for the ongoing torture, even if it's found to be against the law.

Woo, on the other hand was looking pretty freaked out by the whole situation. He had to keep stopping and getting all kinds of advice from some weaselly little guy. I bet he's terrified about going to Gitmo himself.

I bet they told Woo they were going "waterboarding" and he thought they meant surfing. He probably looked like a dumbass showing up with his wetsuit on!

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Yeah, Addington was rude and assertive, talking over the panel's questions and deny, deny, denying any responsibility. He seemed to think his position as Cheney's Chief of Staff put him above answering questions about his actions and directives.

Yoo, in contrast, looked scared, babbling and stammering and repeating every question, like some third grader at a spelling bee who didn't know the word. He was claiming non-existent privileges and making stuff up on the fly. He looks like the fall guy to me, and he knows it.

Really a sad commentary on the intent and conduct of this administration when it comes to human rights and the rule of law.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Glad to see we have some people paying attention. Starred and flagged!

Like a house of cards....they will fall.

new topics

top topics

join