It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

reverse speech as lie detection?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
i wasn't sure if i should put this here or in government projects. please move if need be.

i did some research on reverse speech and found that supposedly everyones speech, when reversed has subconscience thought and messages. this got me thinking that, if this is true, it would make a somewhat useful lie detector. just record a long conversation with someone, like a criminal interrogation, and when played backwards you might put some lies to rest.

thoughts? can someone knowledgable in this feild can tell me more about this?

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by dunkleskates]

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Im not sure I quite understand the issue. Maybe if you posted the information from your research it would be alot easier for people like myself who are always looking to be informed to understand what your trying to correlate between lies and reverse speech.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 03:55 AM
link   
my research tells me that if real(which i highly believe to be true due to the evidenece on this and other sites), reverse speech , when it appears(every 10-15 seconds in the dialog of the average person) will reveal what that person is really thinking.

link

Perhaps the most controversial aspect of reverse speech isn't that one can discern words and phrases within reversed speech, but in the claim that the backward speech unconsciously reveals the true feelings and intent of the speaker. "Reverse speech is the voice of truth," says Oates. In an article entitled "Reverse Speech Analysis," author Eve Frances Lorgen calls the phenomenon "the truth detector of the millennium" and says that it might place the polygraph as a lie detector. Lorgen uses reverse speech as an investigative and therapeutic tool for UFO abductees.

and here

Oates claims that reverse speech is a form of human communication that is automatically generated by the human brain. It occurs every time we speak and is imbedded backwards into the sounds of our speech. This previously undiscovered function of the mind is the mind's own independant [sic] voice speaking from the deepest regions of consciousness ... forward speech is from the left brain and Reverse Speech is from the right brain.

of course, for all i know this is all a crock of #, but i've read through these two sites, and David John Oates website, here, and my conclusion is that the evidence is undeniable.

like i said before, if anyone more experienced or knowledgable in this subject can tell me more, please do.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Its amazing if true. However that reversespeech.com site has been around forever and if it were a legitimate science you'd think there would be more interest in it. A lot of the clips on that site are garbled and you wouldn't know what they are saying without being told. Record some of your own speech and reverse it and see what you get.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I've done it before. It truely does work. there is no denying it.

Respectfully, DaRAGE

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
thank you, DaRage, that is what im looking for in this thread. like i said twice before, please tell me more about reverse speech if you have experience or knowledge in the subject. one post from someone who has experienced this phenomena is more valuable than a thousand posts speculating on the reality of reverse speech based on assumptions.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
they had an interesting Stairway to Heaven link somewhere where it was like "Oh my Sweet Satan..." something along those lines, was very well made, and if it was true, was pretty creepy

My favorite, from a TV Evangalist "My Advice is Rancid" backwards
www.reversespeech.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This smacks of what my teacher would call "Freud Syndrome."

Freud was amazingly observant, clear, and clever, years ahead of his generation. However, his explinations for said observations were pure CRAP. Hypnosis? Pure fantasy. he gave up after three weeks.

This smacks of coincidence, patterns of linguistics, and maybe a little subconscious streaming. There is no such thing as 'lie detection'. It is only the perception of perceived truth adn perceived lies. Why do you think that courts very rarely every allow polygraphs to be submitted as evidence?

DE

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by DeusEx]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
It seems as if those who are looking for words in reverse speech will inevitably find them. Maybe the subconcious is not working to implant backward sounds into speech, but into making you believe they are there.

new topics

top topics

join