It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tim Russert Diversion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Look. I appreciate the fact that we bring the world into existence with language. I appreciate that we must be careful with our words. However, what is currently happening - first with the veritable blackout of the 35 articles of impeachment brought against President Bush by Kucinich, and now with the amazing 48-hour Tim Russert Extravaganza on every television news outlet - has strained the limits of credulity past the breaking point. At what point did television news decide to stop pretending to care about reporting actual news? Is it just me, or is anyone else offended by the fact that CNN will gladly replay the self-destruction of Britney Spears at the top of every news hour in brilliant HD, but will not follow up on important news, or even bring it to our attention?

You know, this website's membership is growing. I think we could leverage sheer numbers in a boycott...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by applebiter

You know, this website's membership is growing. I think we could leverage sheer numbers in a boycott...

I think a large portion of the members here already avoid the MSM. I think you are preaching to the choir.

You are absolutely right though. With all of the insanity in the world right now, it is disgusting to see just how much time is wasted reporting on non issues. You would think that the market is ripe for someone to step in and create their own news network that actually reports the real news. Sadly though, the majority of Americans don't want to see the real news. They want more Brittney, more American Idol, more celebrity gossip...etc.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I love Russert and there is no denying the impact and import of his influence on the news cycle, but I must agree with the OP.

I can see the coverage on NBC/MSNBC, they need time to re-group and running old clips and memorials gives them that. But there is no excuse for the other networks.

This week alone we had a hugely important Supreme Court ruling, a bill introducing 35 articles of impeachment against the President, massive flooding in the midwest (Katrina redux) with continued tornadoes in the plains, a jail break in Khandahar and Iran threatening to blow up ships in the Straits if we push them. This list doen't even include the ever-present issues of the economy, the election and $4 gas.

I have to think even Russert, a friend of the everyman, would want his peers to focus on the issues most crucial to the U.S. right now. It does his memory no service to fail to pursue journalistic standards at the expense this country.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I'm horrified as the US transforms into a colored-bubbles version of Orwell's 1984 right in front of me, and I am frustrated because I believe that people should care more about it.

For better or worse, however, the essence of liberty is self-selection. You have the freedom to choose whether to care or to wear blinders.

... something is terribly amiss.

Edited for overly dramatic and dire prognostication

[edit on 16-6-2008 by applebiter]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I agree totally!

There is for anyone using satellite tv dish or direct, you can watch two stations, one is LINK tv and the other is Free speech TV. Free speech tv is totally viewer supported, they receive no money from the gov. or the cable or the satellite companies, they also take no money from advertsiers. There are many award winning tv news programs on both of these channels.

You can also watch the show online, or for those with dial up, read transcripts on the one hour news program Democracy Now. This show and many of the others on these two channels will blow your mind, they show many things ahead of the mainstream media, sometimes weeks ahead, plus their reporting is more in depth. Even if you only have dialup and can't watch it reading a transcript will keep you better informed than MM.
www.democracynow.org...

Here are two of their stories from Friday

www.democracynow.org...
Despite Opposition from His Own Party, Democratic Rep. Dennis Kucinich Vows to Continue Impeachment Effort Against Bush
We speak to Ohio Congress member and former Democratic presidential hopeful Dennis Kucinich about his impeachment effort against President Bush. On Wednesday, Congress voted to send Kucinich’s bill to the House Judiciary Committee, where it’s unlikely to be considered before Bush leaves office. Kucinich spent four hours on the House floor Monday reading out thirty-five articles of impeachment against the President. [includes rush transcript]

Citing Iraq War, Renowned Attorney Vincent Bugliosi Seeks "The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder"
Vincent Bugliosi is one of the most successful prosecutors in this country, with a record including twenty-one murder convictions without a single loss. With a new book, he outlines his case for the prosecution of George W. Bush for murder. [includes rush transcript]

[edit on 16-6-2008 by goose]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Funny you should mention this. I spent some time with my mom and pop today and when I asked them if they had heard about the Kucinich impeachment story, they both said "Who? Impeachment??? No, but did you hear about Russert?"

Even with as much information as is available to anyone who wants to find it, as long as 90% of people are willing to take whatever the media offers as all the news they need to know, there will never be any real progress in this country. It's just too easy to stay uninformed.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose...anyone using satellite tv dish or direct, you can watch two stations, one is LINK tv and the other is Free speech TV. Free speech tv is totally viewer supported, ...
You can also watch the show online, or for those with dial up, read transcripts on the one hour news program Democracy Now....Even if you only have dialup and can't watch it reading a transcript will keep you better informed than MM.
www.democracynow.org...

Yes! This is what came to mind when reading this thread. Also, a neat gift for someone would be to donate money in their name to these types of programs.

I, too, was shocked and saddened by TR's death, but, yes, there are other news worthy items.

Here's what I emailed to CNN, Fox, etc.
"Dear ,
I want more coverage of Representative Kucinich's Impeachment Bill. Thank you!
Sincerely,"

top topics

join