It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligent people less likely to believe in God

page: 23
<< 20  21  22   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I think that a lot of what gets attributed to god is just something of the nature we don't understand.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

That poster makes you look stupid.

Religion is really good at making people too stupid to know how stupid they are.
edit on 3-3-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Just out of interest.....

If there were other multiple, intelligent, life-forms out in the Universe and we got to meet them all.
Whereupon, it turned out that we were the only ones who believed in 'God' (or Santa Claus).
You see, it turns out that none of these other life forms, it turns out, ever had any beliefs in such a thing. They had no history or need for a God and only understood their world and the rest of the universe by evidence and measurable reality.

How and where would you begin to persuade them otherwise? It'd be pretty hard without any evidence whatsoever. They'd no doubt be curious at first. They'd wonder why he'd only ever visited our planet. I think, however, after a bit of research on their part, into our documentation on the matter, that they'd come to the same conclusion that a lot of atheists do.
edit on 3-3-2013 by region331 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Not seeing anything about where it says who the "Intellectual elite" are... Sounds like somebody decided to paint a picture with a extremely wide brush. And to whomever said that this is scientific evidence, thats laughable... To be kind about it. Mind you, I wouldnt so much as flinch if religion were to make its way out of existence completely.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Professor Richard Lynn, emeritus professor of psychology at Ulster University, said many more members of the "intellectual elite" considered themselves atheists than the national average.

Wow, an amazing deduction Professor Obvious (I mean, Lynn)...and just how much grant money was spent to obtain this obvious result?
Of course, I'd wager more are agnostic vs. hard core atheists.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I would not say religious people are less intelligence, it is just that they have a screen pulled up in front of them, so no matter how much intelligence they have, they have that screen they have to look thru.

Non believer would look at animals as what they are... animals, probably evolved thru the same way as us.

Believer, will look at the animals thru the religious screen, and try to interject their indoctrination into their opinion, aka, god has something to do with it.

I would saying, interpretating nature thru knowledge and observation is better when there is no per-conditioned obstacles are in the way.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

"For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, 'He catches the wise in their own craftiness'; and again, 'The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are fools.'" 1 Corinthians 3:19-20

"The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.' Psalm 53:1

"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise (intellectual), they became fools..." Romans 1:20-22

"Answer a fool according to his folly, Lest he be wise in his own eyes."
"Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him." - Proverbs 26

God Bless,

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElohimJD
reply to post by Quazga

"For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, 'He catches the wise in their own craftiness'; and again, 'The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are fools.'" 1 Corinthians 3:19-20

"The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.' Psalm 53:1

"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise (intellectual), they became fools..." Romans 1:20-22

"Answer a fool according to his folly, Lest he be wise in his own eyes."
"Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him." - Proverbs 26

God Bless,

You're right.

You've made a good point.

But the hypothesis has already been proven, so uh...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Supreme being... sure. Divine creation... Its possible..... Something bigger and better than us out there in the universe and beyond... Most definitely. But bibles and man-made religious texts that seek to divide and control. That's all false. The problem is when people talk about God they usually refer to the stories of a bible... And if they are not referring to a specific religious God, then there is no reference to compare to.

I run into this all the time. I'm not religious at all. I despise religion. So people say I don't believe in God. But really I dont believe in any of their manufactured gods... Its hard for them to seperate manufactured gods from openness to something greater.

And yet, if you approach these same religious people and zero in on all the fallacies of religion, and suggest that any interaction man had with beings from the sky could have been astronauts of the past... Then they say... "Yeah, but who created THEM." In which case they are okay negating all historical accounts of the bible as "alien" and yet use the argument to perpetuate a belief in the religion that they just negated... "But who created them" tosses everything thats written in the trash... And yet the belief remains. Its a weird contradictory justification.

Its a kind of delusional insanity.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualzombie
Supreme being... sure. Divine creation... Its possible..... Something bigger and better than us out there in the universe and beyond... Most definitely. But bibles and man-made religious texts that seek to divide and control. That's all false. The problem is when people talk about God they usually refer to the stories of a bible... And if they are not referring to a specific religious God, then there is no reference to compare to.

I run into this all the time. I'm not religious at all. I despise religion. So people say I don't believe in God. But really I dont believe in any of their manufactured gods... Its hard for them to seperate manufactured gods from openness to something greater.

And yet, if you approach these same religious people and zero in on all the fallacies of religion, and suggest that any interaction man had with beings from the sky could have been astronauts of the past... Then they say... "Yeah, but who created THEM." In which case they are okay negating all historical accounts of the bible as "alien" and yet use the argument to perpetuate a belief in the religion that they just negated... "But who created them" tosses everything thats written in the trash... And yet the belief remains. Its a weird contradictory justification.

Its a kind of delusional insanity.

Thats spirituality, even Atheist and non believers have spirituality. Religious just like to act like they own it.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It's probably true that there is a tendency for intelligent people to ignore and/or not believe in God.

The reason is... is that they are all caught up in forming their own (in their eyes) esteemed, valued opinion as to how things are... that they forget that - that's already been done for them. And it's all written in the Bible... But they are so enthralled by their own message, they get into self-congratulation and others congratulating them, that they overlook the actual message that came from God.

This is similar to a person who is wealthy. Jesus is talking about rich people here:

With God All Things Are Possible

24 And when Jesus saw that he became very sorrowful, He said, “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God! 25 For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

26 And those who heard it said, “Who then can be saved?”

27 But He said, “The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.”
Luke 18:24-27 NKJV

For the highly intelligent, and for the rich.... it takes a special touch from God to Save them. Otherwise, they are doomed.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Does that mean that God is stupid to believe in himself... There are many types of communication that require no language. Maybe some people cant see the wood for the trees because they think too much..

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

that they forget that - that's already been done for them.

Oh, good, saves me the work then, so glad somebody already came up with the answer for everything. I should remember to send them a Christmas card.

And it's all written in the Bible...

You mean the collection of books written when men still thought thunder was the anger of the gods, that often contradict each other, by different authors, and excluding several other books by the same authors, decided upon by a council that "decided" Jesus was to be the son of God...you mean THAT book?

But they are so enthralled by their own message, they get into self-congratulation and others congratulating them, that they overlook the actual message that came from God.

Which God? The one worshiped by the majority of the world? Then 2/3 of the world are damned? Only 1/3 of the world is Christian. Do you really think we as humans have figured out (or been told by some absentee father figure in the sky) how the Universe works?

I'm not enthralled with my own message, but I'm also not enthralled with what I'm TOLD to believe, especially when it makes no sense and is contradictory, out of date, and conveniently edited by its adherents. I am comfortable with the idea that I simply don't know what is behind the Universe. I believe there is something to it, but I don't think we yet have the capacity to grasp it.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
lot of faithful here are missing the point. no one is claiming religion makes a person less intelligent.

it's that less intelligent people tend to wait for answers. wait for hand outs. wait for progress. wait for opportunities.
you know, everything organized religion claims to give people. a certain type of people are drawn to such simple things.. because life is to hard, therefore its not our fault.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
This is all I had to reflect upon to come to the consclusion that there is a Creator, God or Supreme Entity no matter what you wish to call it, in my humble opinion. You'd probably do yourself a healthy favor by reflecting upon these questions;

1. If the universe consists of infinite energy and the simplest life forms are the most successful; what is the ultimate goal of evolution?

2. If there existed no consciousness to experience the existence of existence would existence exist?

3. Is there such a thing as nothing? How is it nothing then?

Good luck. For me, God is as real as existence. In fact, for me, God is existence and I am infinitely grateful for existing in existence.

You think Albert Einstein believed in God just because he was Jewish and not because he was arguably the most intelligent man in the history of Humanity?

edit on 7-3-2013 by ABeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
And! If there came a group of highly evolved aliens to Earth and told us they did not believe in a Creator; rest assured we would have a new definition of evil who would use humanity as cattle for life stock or slaves to carry out their work and claim dominion over Earth.

Sound familiar? Why? Because you do not know God if you do not understand or cannot appreciate the sanctity of life.

Here's one for you all to enjoy;

"A lamb knows it's a sheep but not that it is cattle.
Neither does it know the difference of dependency and independency or captivity and freedom and will forever believe it is in its natural habitat until someone tells it otherwise."

-ABeing, Chaiyarit. Love.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Excuse me, double post. Please remove this post. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ABeing
And! If there came a group of highly evolved aliens to Earth and told us they did not believe in a Creator; rest assured we would have a new definition of evil who would use humanity as cattle for life stock or slaves to carry out their work and claim dominion over Earth.

Sound familiar? Why? Because you do not know God if you do not understand or cannot appreciate the sanctity of life.

The Church of England don't believe in God and they seem fairly harmless.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I dont agree with title.
Intelligent people through knowledge and great questions and definitions are more insure in posibbility of god.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I'm an agnostic. I really just don't know. But I heard one phrase once that often comes back to me....

"There's no such thing as an atheist on a battlefield".

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22   >>

join