It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Food Reserves 'Tapped Out'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

U.S. Food Reserves 'Tapped Out'

cryptogon.com

“According to the May 1, 2008 CCC inventory report there are o­nly 24.1 million bushels of wheat in inventory, so after this sale there will be o­nly 2.7 million bushels of wheat left the entire CCC inventory,” warned Matlack. “Our concern is not that we are using the remainder of our strategic grain reserves for humanitarian relief. AAM fully supports the action and all humanitarian food relief. Our concern is that the U.S. has nothing else in our emergency food pantry. There is no cheese, no butter, no dry milk powder, no grains or anything else left in reserve. The o­nly thing left in the entire CCC inventory will be 2.7 million bushels of wheat which is about enough wheat to make ½ of a loaf of bread for each of the 300 million people in America.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I don't think I even really need to explain how serious this is...This is a potential CATASTROPHE waiting to happen...With the cost of food already having risen exponentially, with no let-up in sight, and now this---We are sitting on an absolute potential disaster. Think the food shortages and riots are all relegated to other countries? Time to wake up...It's only a matter of time, particularly when one looks at the ever-skyrocketing joblessness and homelessness situation...

The CCC is a federal government-owned and operated entity that was created to stabilize, support, and protect farm income and prices. CCC is also supposed to maintain balanced and adequate supplies of agricultural commodities and aids in their orderly distribution.

“This lack of emergency preparedness is the fault of the 1996 farm bill which eliminated the government’s grain reserves as well as the Farmer Owned Reserve (FOR),” explained Matlack. “We had hoped to reinstate the FOR and a Strategic Energy Grain Reserve in the new farm bill, but the politics of food defeated our efforts. As farmers it is our calling and purpose in life to feed our families, our communities, our nation and a good part of the world, but we need better planning and coordination if we are to meet that purpose. AAM pledges to continue our work for better farm policy which includes an FOR and a Strategic Energy Grain Reserve.”

cryptogon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I swear to the Gods that by intention or design....We are being SET UP for a perfect storm of scat.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

I could not agree more...Add in the "Water Restoration Act of 2007" which is pending passage to hand over all of our waterways to corporate interests, and we have the perfect manipulation and control scenario being set up...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I don't do this often for you DD, but I'm starring and flagging this one. As a kid that grew up on a ranch and spent my childhood in 4H and FFA, this disturbs me. Those reserves are our only safety net against a major disaster (like the midwest floods, anyone?) leaving our entire nation with a severe wheat shortage. Combined with the absolutely unconciable supplies of corn being drawn away from where it should be going (food for humans & our livestock) we're one bad season away from massive livestock kill-offs thanks to an inabillity to feed them.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
So what I don't understand then is, why are they not adding to the stock pile?

If there is no cheese, no butter, no dry milk powder, no grains or anything else left in reserve, why not start filling it up again? Just like the oil fiends do, by stocking?

As farmers it is our calling and purpose in life to feed our families, our communities, our nation and a good part of the world, but we need better planning and coordination if we are to meet that purpose. AAM pledges to continue our work for better farm policy which includes an FOR and a Strategic Energy Grain Reserve.”

But we've done fine in the past, why change now? By the sounds of it, nothing has been put in there in a long time. Why did that change?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WalkOn

If there is no cheese, no butter, no dry milk powder, no grains or anything else left in reserve, why not start filling it up again? Just like the oil fiends do, by stocking?

As farmers it is our calling and purpose in life to feed our families, our communities, our nation and a good part of the world, but we need better planning and coordination if we are to meet that purpose. AAM pledges to continue our work for better farm policy which includes an FOR and a Strategic Energy Grain Reserve.”

But we've done fine in the past, why change now? By the sounds of it, nothing has been put in there in a long time. Why did that change?

They are exporting everything according to the UN framework. We answer to them now, apparently.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Nice find, starred and flagged

A quick search even showed USATODAY is covering this;

Surplus U.S food supplies dry up

WASHINGTON — As the farm economy collapsed in the 1980s, the U.S. Department of Agriculture was saddled with mountains of surplus cheese, corn and other foods that it socked away in warehouses and even caves.

As recently as 2003, the USDA had to buy so much powdered milk to support dairy prices that beleaguered officials shipped some to U.S. ranchers for cattle feed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Very alarming news. Surprised this has not hit the headlines.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Here is another article on this topic by USA Today...

Surplus U.S. food supplies dry up

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
oh my, i normally refuse to play chicken, but if they add GM crops into the mix, with their record of reduced yield and transition issues and delays we'll have to look out for a serious breakdown of the food supply next year's summer

depending on this year's harvest of course.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

things like these don't just 'happen' it's an orchestrated event.

crazy!

reply to post by burdman30ott6

the question is would these necessary steps be taken or would we find ourselves without supplies mid winter, when all has proceeded as normal, ie. fed to livestock, because the gov't wanted to 'avoid panic'.

i wouldn't put it past them.

[edit on 2008.6.10 by Long Lance]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Yes and how many trillions spent on waging war and plans for more, we really have our priorites right don't we, same here in the UK more and more spent on illegal wars yet people finding it difficult to keep up with the rising prices of food and everything else.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I just dont understand our government. Every level of our government is messed up. They didnt see this coming? Why do we pay them? It seems the government always waits til the last minute and says oh no either we are screwed or how did this happen. They are never proactive with anything. Our government is a big joke, they cant do anything right. Who really runs this country? Not the people. And we are trying to help Iraq, we cant even help ourselves. Money, greed, and Money. is all the government thinks about.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

This is what makes us "conspiracy nuts" start to look not so nutty after all IMO...This appears to all be calculated and orchestrated---There is just too many different things TPTB have been up to to call "ineptitude" on this...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
True when mr bush wants to blow trillions on a war that should have never been.He should have worried about the economy more making jobs,lifting wages,less taxes etc,im sure you all know that it can go on.Instead we get the end of the stick for the poor and lower income for his stupid war games.We all suffer cause of this stupid junk.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
It's called manufacturing scarcity- increasing profits by cutting output. The industrial revolution made our production capacity so efficient, the law of diminishing returns kicked in.

Now the only way for corporations to make more money is to manipulate supplies (covered in various commodities threads on ATS). The family farm is now owned by giant agri-business corporations. It's always about the money.

www.metamute.org...

Manufacturing scarcity, restricting output and so driving up prices is one short-term way to secure profits and maybe even the profit-system. Of course that would also mean abandoning the historic justification for capitalism, that it increased output and living standards. Environmentalism (the Green Movement) might turn out to be the way to save capitalism, just at the point when industrial development had shown it to be redundant.

On a lighter note: I've started to play a bit of a game in my travels about the web. Whenever I see a certain type of story, I always try to guess how long before DD posts it on ATS.

MBF

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
[edit on 10-6-2008 by MBF]

MBF

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Don't get upset people. We didn't start harvesting wheat until about the first of May here and there is a good bit still in the fields. What they may have done is get rid of last years wheat to make room for the new crop. I agree that they should keep more in stock. You never know when you will have a disaster or back to back disasters.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Combined with the absolutely unconciable supplies of corn being drawn away from where it should be going (food for humans & our livestock) we're one bad season away from massive livestock kill-offs thanks to an inabillity to feed them.

One bad season will not just see the livestock not being fed, but humans as well, our fellow Americans.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Originally posted by WalkOn

They are exporting everything according to the UN framework. We answer to them now, apparently.

Could you please provide evidence of how the UN has effected the CCC?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
By trying to eliminate or regulate the basic necessities for life away from US Citizens, the government has stepped too far out of bounds...Now they're trying to eliminate our Right to Life, as well as Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness being already thrown out the window.

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
...Add in the "Water Restoration Act of 2007" which is pending passage...

BTW, everything in Congress' list concerning the Water Restoration Act of 2007 is being tracked...And if anyone wants to contact their...um, representatives (& I use that term loosely)...to voice their opinions on what would or wouldn't work to change these measures, can start here.

Even though I'm still using every peaceful means possible to get the Government to live up to its Constitutional Oath to obey the Supreme Law of the Land, I fear it's too late for anything but the exercise of the Peoples' 2nd Amendment to fix the problem.

[edit on 11-6-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join