It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary's Surprise

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
This is the key quote from the blog that is unsourced:

US Law very clearly stipulates: "…If only one parent was a U.S. Citizen at the time of your birth, that parent must have resided in the United States for at least ten years, at least five of which had to be after the age of 16."

Any idea where this is sourced? Sounds to me like it's pulled out of thin air. Anybody ever hear of this before, or have any idea where this comes from?

That is an accurate description of the law, but it's misstated here. That portion applies to children born out of the US. If Obama had been born in another country he would have fallen under this portion of the law and not been considered a natural born citizen. Since he was born in the US, it doesn't apply.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

TITLE 8--ALIENS AND NATIONALITY

CHAPTER 12--IMMIGRATION AND NATIONALITY

SUBCHAPTER III--NATIONALITY AND NATURALIZATION

Part I--Nationality at Birth and Collective Naturalization

Sec. 1401. Nationals and citizens of United States at birth

The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States
at birth:
(a) a person born in the United States, and subject to the
jurisdiction thereof;

Link to US title 8 code sec 1401

Seems like there shouldn't be a question. If there was he most likely would have been called on it by this point.

Edit: link text

[edit on 6/10/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I wonder if his place of birth was listed in his passport information. Remember a couple of months ago the scandal over Obama's passport information file being breached on at least three separate ocassions? Is there possibly a tie-in..

[edit on 6/10/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
It's not the place of birth under question here!

The question is did Obama's father place dual citizenship on his son at the time of his birth..

Kenyan / American, if so then Obama has a problem.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
.......so whats the problem??

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
The question is did Obama's father place dual citizenship on his son at the time of his birth..

All he would have to do is give up that citizenship!

Dual citizenship isn't a problem in Congress though, do you realize how many of them hold a second citizenship in Israel?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
It's not the place of birth under question here!

Kindly explain to us why that's an issue? I've not been shown a piece of law that states that a person with dual citizenship cannot hold the office of President. Not saying it doesn't exist...but I haven't seen it.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
CAN HE BE PRESIDENT IF HE HAS TERRORIST TIES?
SEE THE 14TH AMMENDMENT.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by airborne82ndscout
Wow this needs to be looked into.

i hope it is true, i am a conservative but i rather have the clintons in office anyday then obama.

thank you for posting this lets send this to rush and sean hanity and oriely see if they can verify this

chris

Thanks for the insight into the typical view of the far right.

"Let me see if Bill O'Reilly believes it and then I can!!"

Classic.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Hey, I'm far from an Obama supporter, but he meets the criteria:

He was born in the U.S. State of Hawaii
He is old enough
He is a long enough U.S. resident.

If he were born in another country, then you would have issues as his mother wasn't old enough to fulfill the requirement necessary.

If I am not mistaken, he could have been born to two foreign nationals in Hawaii and Still be eligible as he would be a U.S. citizen, albeit with dual citizenship.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by pavil]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
These are extracted from Wikipedia on the subject.

“ No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States. ”

US presidential candidates born outside the US
"The constitutional wording has left doubts about whether those born on foreign soil are on an equal footing with those whose birth occurred inside the country's borders, and whether they have the same rights."[1] Though every president and vice president to date (as of 2008) has either been a citizen at the adoption of the Constitution, or else born in a U.S. state or Washington D.C.[2], a number of presidential candidates have been born elsewhere.[3]

Barry Goldwater, who ran as the Republican party nominee in 1964, was born in Arizona while it was still a U.S. territory. Although Arizona was not a state, it was a fully organized and incorporated territory of the United States, making it debatable whether or not he was born outside the United States.[4]

Hawaii became a state in 1978. It was a territory when obama was born. There you have it "Debatable" as being the judgement of an independent source without regard to this specific instance.
Obama was born on August 4, 1961, at the Kapiolani Medical Center in the territory of Hawaii.

Obviously this detail has never been contested, but that does not mean that it cannot be contested.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian

Hawaii became a state in 1978. It was a territory when obama was born. There you have it "Debatable" as being the judgement of an independent source without regard to this specific instance.
Obama was born on August 4, 1961, at the Kapiolani Medical Center in the territory of Hawaii.

That's funny I could swear the flag has always had 50 stars since I was born, 1966. I suggest you investigate further.

Don't count on wiki for all of your facts, you can end up with egg on your face. Sometimes I'm convinced the internet dumbs down people. Don't take it personally, ok?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

im not sure you understand, the requirements for being president are more than you just being a natural citizen of the united states.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

Dude Hawaii Became a state in 1959. Not 1978. Great spin work. Check you freakin' sources.

www.answers.com...

www.50states.com...

www.enchantedlearning.com...

www.gohawaii.com...

Christ people get lazy with research.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SRTkid86
reply to post by projectvxn

im not sure you understand, the requirements for being president are more than you just being a natural citizen of the united states.

So you want to be president? Forget the nerves of steel, the charisma, the skeleton-free closet, the fund-raising network, the thick skin and the legions of loyal folks who agree with your stance on all the issues. Just to get into the game, you have to ask: How old are you and where were you born? * Only native-born U.S. citizens (or those born abroad, but only to parents who were both citizens of the U.S.) may be president of the United States, though from time to time that requirement is called into question, most recently after Arnold Schwarzenegger, born in Austria, was elected governor of California, in 2003. The Constitution originally provided a small loophole to this provision: One needn't have been born in the United States but had to be a citizen at the time the Constitution was adopted. But, since that occurred in 1789, that ship has sailed. * One must also be at least 35 years of age to be president. John F. Kennedy was the youngest person to be elected president; he was 43 years old when he was inaugurated in 1961. There is no maximum age limit set forth in the Constitution. Ronald Reagan was the oldest president; at the end of his term in 1988, he was nearly 77. * Finally, one must live in the United States for at least 14 years to be president, in addition to being a natural-born citizen. The Constitution is vague on this point. For example, it does not make clear whether those 14 years need to be consecutive or what the precise definition of residency is. So far, however, this requirement has not been challenged. These are the only explicit criteria in the Constitution

usgovinfo.about.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join