It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why haven't civilian air companies brought back dirigibles?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
I'd thought about the solar-cell prospect on the dirigibles, but then immediately dismissed it for two reasons, the added weight of the solar cells might cause a significant problem for the airbag part of the blimp. And the other is the electrical infrastructure underlaying the solar cells would generate a helluva lot of static electricity, and probably make it a lot more likely to spark up.

Anyone have more knowledge on those two risks? Regretfully I am not an electrical engineer...yet.

Blimps can be made from rigid materials such as thin metal or other new synthetic materials. The added weight would not crush the balloon if built correctly, and solar panels get lighter all the time. You could make the inside have cells like foam for example. I don't see how static would be a problem with solar cells.

Fire risk is almost non-existent as we tend to use helium now since hydrogen got a bad rap in the Hindenburg disaster. Helium will act as a fire extinguisher, it is not flammable.

Blimp technology has not really kept pace with most other forms of flight. They did not even get fly-by-wire until 1982 or so.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
If there was a gas 10 times lighter than hydrogen then a blimp could be made so that did not have the drag that makes them inefficient.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
It is because they have not seen the patent number 6,528,223.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
ask and ye shall recieve

Zeppelin Flies To New Bay Area Home

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5 / AP) ― Many San Francisco Bay Area residents are getting their first chance to see a zeppelin, a blimp-like airship that hasn't been seen in American skies for more than 70 years.

Airship Ventures' Zeppelin NT arrived in the Bay Area on Saturday and is heading to its new home at Moffett Field in Mountain View.

The California startup company brought iconic aircraft back to the United States and plans to offer aerial tours of the San Francisco Bay area in a newly built zeppelin. It is the newest and perhaps most expensive way to go sightseeing.
cbs5.com...

Its in testing and it flies over my house all the time.

[edit on 11/15/08 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
Why isn't anyone even considering this for civilian air travel? Why aren't there already dozens of these companies offering their services?

In one word, SPEED
everyone wants to get "there" NOW.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join