It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Newspaper Misprints Obama as \\\"Osama\\\"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Detroit Newspaper Misprints Obama as \\\"Osama\\\"

www.dailykos.com

sprints Obama as \"Osama\"
by second gen

Fri Jun 06, 2008 at 01:25:42 PM PDT

Their web site has been corrected, but according to conservative political commentator, radio talk show host, columnist, and attorney, Debbie Schlussel, the print version of The Detroit News, the headline reads:

second gen\'s diary :: ::
I\'m pleasantly surprised that the commentator doesn\'t use the incident to poke fun at Obama (too much) but rather at the newspaper. Apparently it\'s not unusual for the newspaper, according to Schlussel, to be inaccuarate. I\'m from Michigan, but haven\'t read the News in quite some time.

I am, however, disgusted that a simple proof read couldn\'t flesh out a simple mistake. I don\'t posit that it was intentional, but it ceratainly is negiligent. IMO.

While they managed to fix their web site, the print version will remain for eternity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Here you go. I'm from Dertoit and I can tell you right now that this conservative newspaper conveniently misspoke and apologized for their gaffe as if it was really a mistake. Sorry, this is one of the convenient right wing attempts to influence voters and fain ignorance for the rest of the political race. The Detroit News has always backed Bush and this is just another futile attempt to turn a blue state red. It will never happen but expect more of the same shameful press the rest of the campaign.

www.dailykos.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-6-2008 by VenusOnTheHalfShell]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
If this was intentional, I wonder if it really has the effect they think it has.

I think it just makes them look like scum and only those who already hate Obama will find it amusing.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by VenusOnTheHalfShell

Unbelievable. I can't believe so many people think this was intentional. I've worked in many newsrooms and there are too many people involved with these pages to do something like this. Newspapers are under constant deadline pressure and mistakes happen. Some tired copy editor just typed in the wrong head at the last minute and the page was probably sent right on deadline so nobody saw a proof until after the paper had gone to press. I know for a fact the paper stopped the press run as soon as the error was found and fixed it. I've seen cuss words accidentally get in headlines and all sorts of whacky mistakes. Heck, I've made a few biggies in my time. If you know how a newsroom operates, you'd know that this sort of mistake CANNOT be done intentionally unless there was a rouge page designer or copy editor trying to sneak in something, but they would be terminated for that. Sure a paper can be biased, it is getting worse all the time, but something like this, please... it doesn't work like that! The person who made this mistake more than likely will lose their job and that is sad. ONE mistake and what's been a very rough week in Detroit with the Wings. People are putting in tons of extra hours and are exhausted this week. Don't be so stinking harsh on them for a dumb mistake on a headline buried inside the paper.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Well it does call attention to the fact Obama is half muslim and there is only a 1 letter difference in the names. Personally I think Obama may end up doing more damage to our country that Osama did. afrea51

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by VenusOnTheHalfShell

Obviously intentional!

What would you expect from a city that looks like a rat infested, weather blown "Forclosure Land."

I quess this is Detroit's attempt to blame it's crumbling landscape on a man in a cave!

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
St. Joseph, Joseph Stalin. Hmmm, are they related?

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Half the people in Detroit can't read anyway so no harm done.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
May be it was caused by a spell checker. Could be Osama had been entered previously and it was accidentally allowed to replace his name.

new topics

top topics

join