It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1000KG (2000lb) German World War 2 bomb found in London

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I've looked and couldn't find a thread on this....

as the news is a few days old, couldn't really put it in breaking news.. and after all it is a weapon..

Makes me wonder how many more unexploded bombs there are in London.

BBC News

An unexploded World War II bomb started to tick and ooze liquid as experts tried to defuse it, police have said.

Click here for the full story

Peace...

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Rock Ape,

I served with E.O.D. and did quite a few old bombs in and around London.

At the time I served the figure used was: 11% of munitions dropped failed to
high order as intended. This figure was used up to and including the Gulf War. I
don't know what the percentage is now, but I know this:

The world is now littered with UXO which keeps me in a job and makes me sad
at the same time. Clearing mines, AP mines, Clusters etc is one thing. Picking up bits of children is another.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Good grief!!!!,
What do they do to those olde weapons?? I imagine that defusing some of them with that kind of age on them can be very dicey stuff. Do they try to blow some of them in place. A 1000 kilo is a big one.
Then again, a big one depending where it is...exploding it may not be an option.

As I recall the story some ten years or more ago ..during some renovations beign done at an olde train station in Germany they found an olde WW2 bomb and while defusing it ...it went off.

yes...this stuff is littering the earth.

Orangetom

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Good grief!!!!,
What do they do to those olde weapons??

I guess each and every one is a totally new story, a big one like that in a built up area has got to be a night mare!

There was another one recently, can't remember if I read about it on ATS or else where, it was on the (south?) coast somewhere, the tide uncovered it - they floated it out on the tide... And Lost it
took em more than a day to relocate it! - but locate it they did, and then it was a case of letting it finally fulfil it's one purpose safely out in the sea.

Another one just over a mile from where I live, some much smaller device was found in this young couples flower bed - I can't remember if it was a hand grenade or some incendiary thing, but it was small - the bloke took a digital picture of it - contacted the bomb squad, they told him to 'pop it in his shed' overnight they would collect it the next day!! (they must of determined it was safe from the pic I suppose, he said in the local paper that he had a pretty sleepless night.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
atleast they didn't find a nuke in london. it is a fact that 1945 the US were not nearly done with the bombs and those droped over hiroshima and nagasaki were built by the germans for the V-3 weapon system. The US found 3 bombs of which one (the second bomb dropped over hiroshima) didn't detonate and later was found by the UDSSR. Try to think about the germans lasting two or three more months in W.W.II, their nukes would have been completed

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The V-3 system was a giant cannon that would have been unable to hold such ordinance. The V-3 was a 150mm cannon where as the Fat Man was a good one and a half meters in diameter and the Little Boy was about .7m. Just doesn't work out for the V-3.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Could you please give some source to your claims?

But back on to topic, it really is unfortunate that ordinance is still being found in situations like this. There was a case of some guy only a few years ago was killed when attempting to work on an American Civil War cannonball that he found. At least no one was hurt in this case in London.

top topics

join