It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paying the price

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I started this thread as a result of a comment on another thread on how expensive the cost of things we use (besides gas hehe), whether necessity or luxury, are today.

I personally have noticed the enormous difference in price I pay for groceries, household goods, electronics, appliances and toiletries and luxury items here on a US military base overseas compared to what I would pay for them back home in Australia.
And yes I understand no tax on military bases = cheaper prices but in ordinary life in the US I have found the cost of things, food or material, to be a lot more inexpensive.

For example -

Toothpaste I use back home is an easy $3 cheaper here.

My favored mascara of choice is $22+ back home. Here ? I pay $7 for it.

KitchenAid Artisan Professional series stand mixer I really want is $600+ back home, I see it on base for half that price and it is just as is, if not even cheaper online (just ordered one!
)

Toiletries such as body-wash, skin care and hair accessories/appliances are easily 60% cheaper here.

New release DVD's are at least half price.

Even perusing online prices for items compared to what we pay in Australia are relatively cheap.

The list goes on, I could go on about every single thing I buy and I get mad
hell why shouldn't I ?

Then I remember that, yeah, there are others in the world who cannot even afford such things, or are indeed paying even more ....

so I wanna hear from you if this is the case.

This thread is to let us know how they are extorting you ...

[edit on 4-6-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
How do you think we in Canada feel? Eben with the dollar hovering at par for quite some time now, stuff in the US is just cheaper. Thats why so many Canadians make those day trips across the border, or go there specifically to shop because the price difference makes the trip worth it.

Never understood why.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
This is what gets me.

If i use a car for example, a Mercedes Benz, we have a plant here in South Africa - in East London, that manufactures these cars. Then they are exported and sold OVERSEAS for LESS than we can buy them for here.

I was in the US for a year when i played in a band and a guitar amp here in SA was R9600 - i paid............. WAIT for it.......... $470!! The exchange rate weas R6.24 to $1 so that made it R2932.80 when converted. So why the HUGE price difference? It is like 30% the cost. Yeah ok import duties. Even at 200% MORE that's still cheaper and the import is not 200%...

So why are some countries squeezing all they can out of the consumer and other not?

Yeah there are dynamics but hell differences shouldn't be so HUGE!

Great thread ImJaded!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I understand and that is the case in Australia as well, our dollar is almost par with the USD and still things are twice if not triple the price.

I am so jealous you can make a day trip to the US and shop

I tend to buy online a lot when I am home, the shipping charge is most certainly worth it.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by shearder

So why are some countries squeezing all they can out of the consumer and other not?

Yeah there are dynamics but hell differences shouldn't be so HUGE!

Great thread ImJaded!!!

Thanks shearder

This has troubled me for quite some time and I just put it down to import taxes and what not, but that doesn't sit right with me as an explanation.

The mark up shouldn't be so great. I believe it is good old fashioned extortion.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I really only buy necessities for my family. So the pinch I feel is the grocery store. Especially with the wheat prices that have skyrocketed, I pay almost double for a loaf of bread now. Of course gas prices have brought up the cost of everything because of delivery costs.Milk, is a luxury in my house, because 4 litres costs almost $5.00.

I buy clothing at thrift and consignment shops. Rarely new unless they are discounted at least 50%. All my make-up and perfume comes from Avon. You can joke about that, but I have priced it elsewhere..
My eye liner is $1.99
Mascara $2.99
I never pay more than $6.99 for blush, eye shadow, or face powder..
And my signature fragrance of choice, is only $35.00. That would be the most I EVER spend on anything. My perfume is the only luxury I allow myself, because I am allergic to a lot of scents, but not this one, and I love it.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I understand and luxuries have become more of just that for me now, a luxury so I rarely shop for myself like I used to.
I bargain shop for clothes online now, and at the NEX.

I use some avon make up too, I'd never joke about it AD, they have some good quality products at affordable prices
I enjoy their bath stuffs too

But see herein lies my problem, the last eyeliner I bought from Avon which was just last month cost me $21. Just a black smoothliner pencil.
That's Avon in Australia for you

When I can afford a bit of a splurge I buy Stila, NARS, MAC etc ... but I have plenty to see me through for a lil while right now, thankfully

[edit on 5-6-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

I haven't been able to concur about these high prices. Sure, we all know gasoline is up, but I have only noticed a very small increase in prices.

Perhaps it is the items we buy that makes the difference? To be fair, I do all my shopping at Wally-World though and they seem to be pretty reasonable. I live in the Midwest if that makes any difference.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

I am happy to hear this, it really does make me feel glad that not all are struggling but you are right in that it depends on what one requires/wants/needs.

We do have the discount stores like Wal Mart - but we have Big W and Best & Less etc ... - where you can bargain shop and we have Aldi's now as well as some other discount Warehouse type places.

This does bring some relief

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

WOW! $21 bucks for eye liner???
Honey you are getting RIPPED OFF!
I'll buy it for a buck ninety nine put a 89 cent stamp on it and mail it to ya!

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Amen! That's my point

I recently bought a Stila (fancy make up brand if you don't know) gift set which had an eyeshadow, a mini mascara, lipgloss, creme blush and a lil pot of eyeliner in for $40 on Sephora.com ...

It was $120 on meccacosmetica.com.au which is our lil version of Sephora in Aus.

:shk:

top topics

join