It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: US Army 3rd Infantry Division has received...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I�m just hearing this on the news, the US Army's 3rd Infantry Division which contains 20,000 soldiers have received their deployment orders! Also, some navy ship is headed to the Indian Ocean to be in position for possible attack. Here comes the war....

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 12:46 PM
link   
*******Extremely Unprintable Response******

I realize it's a small effort, but I'm going to write all my Congresscritters. This needs to be stopped. Bush is a lunatic!

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 01:05 PM
link   
M/M; Yes that means the entire Division along wth all of its "support-units" and equipment. The "3rd" has as its main armor component the M-70 tank. This is arguably one of the best tanks in the world. ( German Army has a fine unit also) With the enhanced electronic weapons systems that allow for locating, ranging, lock-on and firing all while moving
this is a formidable weapon.

Yes, unless either Sadamm OR his armed forces chiefs
agree to disarm, the war is emenant.

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Generally,What time scale are we looking at from deployment orders to war.I always thought that the troops were the last to know.

Sorry USAF,The word is Imminent.Eminent means great or above all others.Imminent means soon or at any time.I know what you're saying.I'm not being pedantic.

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 02:31 PM
link   
John:
Thank you for your correction of the spelling, I was not quite sure of the spelling myself. Please feel free to correct my spelling and/or grammar at anytime. I will take no umbrage, I am much to old for that.

Deployment: When you are talking about deployment of an entire division, the time-lag is usually shorter due to the fact that a division is so designed to be "self-sustaining", by virtue of deploying along with all of its supporting units.
The cost (day-to-day costs) of maintaining such an undertaking is extremely high. I would venture to place a time schedule of 14 to 21 days. This of course is my best-estiment, based on my nearly 7 years in military service.
We are grateful for the support and real military assistance given by the U.K. and its Armed Forces, especilally the RAF. Let us pray that war does NOT come, but if it does let it be focused, concise and conclusive.
(Pray for Peace, Prepare for War)

Theodore L. Gieseking (USAFSS-SP)

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Actually, Navy families have been suspecting that something was up for about the past week. My son's ship should have made port by now; it's been over half a month since they left Bahrain, and he always calls when he's in port. The submariners' wives are nervous; my poor little daughter-in-law is worried (she and my son were married for less than a month when he was shipped off to WESTPAC.)

In normal times, he would have phoned his wife from shore by now (they hit port about every 2 weeks or so.) His sub is supposed to end WESTPAC in February.

(UP and others not military WESTPAC="West Pacific". This is a standard "tour of duty" where a ship goes out on a patrol mission for 6 months in the West Pacific. They stop at US sub bases around the area. Many ships are with a "carrier group" (travel with a huge carrier) but subs like the one my son is on are out there by themselves.)

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Bush is going to get this war no matter what happens in iraq. Which is sad really. I have friends who are in the millitary so I hope they return home safe.

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 06:27 PM
link   
i pray that there will be no war btw @byrd what ship does your son serve aboard? i hope he comes home alive

posted on Jan, 1 2003 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Let's hope that this news is just more of the battle of nerves and nothing more serious.
Without firm support from the neighbouring countries it's not immediately obvious how this division would be deployed in Iraq: I cannot imagine that a large landing would be made on Iraq's small coastline at the very outset of hostilities ( although the "no fly zone" patrols could be useful).

posted on Jan, 1 2003 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Jan. 1 � Troops with the 3rd Infantry Division on Wednesday began the new year by preparing for deployment to the Persian Gulf region over the next few weeks. Word of the deployment � the largest movement of ground troops to the area in the last year � came as President Bush for the first time offered an economic rationale for possibly going to war with Iraq....

www.msnbc.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2003 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Jan 16. Give or take.

posted on Jan, 1 2003 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think we might wait until the UN makes their speech on their findings which is Jan 27th. You might see an attack starting around Feb. 4th... or at least that is my prediction.

top topics

join