It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basis of Democracy is DEAD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Does this seems like a democratic process to anybody:

* Clinton won Texas by over 100,000 votes, but Obama won the delegate count, 99 to 94. Clinton also won the Nevada popular vote, but Obama won 14 delegates to Clinton's 11.

* Clinton won Pennsylvania and Ohio by a total of over 400,000 votes and picked up a net gain of 19 delegates. Obama won far less populated states of Iowa and Nebraska and picked up 19 delegates.

* Obama won Washington D.C with just over a TOTAL over 100,000 votes cast and picked up 7 delegates. Clinton won Arizona with over 400,000 votes case and picked up only 6 delegates.

* And of course, Obama gained 55 delegates in his home state of Illinois. Clinton picked up a total of 52 delegates by winning Ohio, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, New Jersey, and Tennessee.

Can anybody in their right minds justify Iowa and Nebraska carrying as much weight as Ohio and Pennsylvania?

Or just over 100,000 people in Washington D.C. carrying more weight than over 400,000 people who voted in Arizona?

Should winning Illinois really count more than winning Ohio, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and New Jersey?

Or worst of all, that there could be more than 100,000 more people vote for Clinton in Texas, and yet Texas allocate more delegates to Obama?

If Obama is the nominee, it will be a gross miscarriage of the intent of our Democracy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Hillary, McCain, or Obama. I'm a fan of democracy, and this ain't it.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Democracy is over-rated anyway.

There is no true democracy anywhere and never will be.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The United States of America is a representative democracy with many checks and balances in force to help prevent various tyrannies.

The Democrat primaries are conducted under the rules of the party and they are, as far as I know, able to run their primaries as they desire, as is amply demonstrated by the brouhaha over Michigan and Florida.

Here are some links to relevant topics.

usinfo.state.gov...

/2t876g

en.wikipedia.org...

www.slate.com...

www.democrats.org...

[edit on 2008/5/31 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

There is no true democracy anywhere and never will be.

Ya, it's over! I like to use the phrase: "read the mail!"

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The succinct response (almost achieved by a prior poster) is that this nation is a Republic, not a Democracy.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The Democrat primaries are conducted under the rules of the party and they are, as far as I know, able to run their primaries as they desire, as is amply demonstrated by the brouhaha over Michigan and Florida.

Good grief... I'm watching the DNC rules hearing live right now. What a complete display of mediocrity. We are in serious trouble.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Awe, the continuing chronicles of the “INGSOC” leaders of America; be they Democrat, Republican, or whatever, and the targeted “Eastasia” boogeyman of the moment. As I said in my blog: we are being kept in willful darkness playing the Manchurian Candidate’s game of the Republican or Democratic fantasy of real elections – all the while mindlessly busy arranging the chairs and furniture on the Titanic. Indeed, “we have met the enemy, and he is us!”

new topics

top topics

join