It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giving America Back to Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Giving America Back to Americans

With a mere 35% of Americans approving of the job that Congress is doing, it is apparent to many of us that our government has become fundamentally flawed. Most Americans believe that there is no longer a choice, so they have stopped voting or being involved in their government. However, these flaws and their means to their corrections lie in the hands of the American people. If we expect to have a country that we can be proud of—a country that we can feel safe in—average Americans must take a stand.

Many independents and others with unpopular opinions have run for office, but they often fail miserably. Currently, there is one independent in the House of Representatives, and there are two in the Senate. There are two reasons for this. Our country has become increasingly polarized: democrat/republican; conservative/liberal. Instead of looking at the issues that plague our nation, we look to the black and white answers that are easier. In most areas, a vote for anything other than a democrat or a republican is a wasted vote. Independents rarely get enough money or enough media coverage to actually make a dent in the voting population.
The answer to this is for those of us who have lost faith in our vote and in our legislatures to band together. Instead of having mere individuals running low-budget campaigns that get little to no media coverage, it would be more effective to have a large group of independent candidates working together towards a common goal.

If you want to change the face of this country, we have to get into positions where it is possible to do so. If you like the job that your senator or congressional representative is doing, it would not be prudent to run against him or her. However, there are numerous positions throughout the country that are up for grabs. Unfortunately, there is little time to implement this plan.

If you would like to be a part of this plan, we need to move quickly. The deadlines for declaring one’s candidacy are fast approaching. However, the more people we can get together, the more of a chance we have of making changes and blocking the “business-as-usual” attitude in our government.

If this plan works as I hope it will, we must be prepared for anything. For this reason, I do not believe that we should look for the most perfect among us. We are all human, but we don’t have the money or power to hide all of our dirty little secrets. I think it would be more effective to be forthright with our constituencies about any skeletons that might lie in our closets. Open up the books and let them see that we are no different from those we are proposing to represent.

The Ron Paul Revolution started things, but many of us got caught up in the idea that one person could change things. We staked our hopes in the one branch that is supposed to have the least power. It’s time to focus on strength in numbers. We can use our numbers to our advantage and then we, and others, will know that writing to one’s senator or representative might actually have some meaning.

In order to be a campaign for the people, there are a couple of things that should be basic principles of our joint effort:

• We will support the Constitution and limited governmental powers.
• We will be loyal to no one but the people.
• We will not play the “game” in Washington and will expect the people to hold us accountable.
• We should take campaign contributions of no more than $100
• We will not accept contributions from major corporations.

Beyond these basic tenents of our joint candidacy, we can work on the more detailed aspects as we move along.

There are 435 seats in the House and about a third of the seats in the Senate are being voted on this year. That doesn’t count the governors that are up for reelection and the state senate and house seats and other local government positions. There is plenty to go around, and the more candidates we have, the better.

If you’d like to be a part of this idea, let’s get started. Take a look at the candidacy requirements for various positions in your own state and we’ll talk about what you find. If you think that this idea is workable, send it out to others who would be willing to join. Some might not want to be candidates, but they might have other talents or believe in the concept enough to support it. We’ll start with email, and if there are enough people who want to get involved and make a difference, we’ll start a webpage and move from there.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
He is a racist nutjob. Plain and simple.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
[

hey i have a plan. every g*****n person comes together as one and overthrows the government puts the president and his fascist crony's on
trial. and give them what they deserve for their war crimes....death

[edit on 30-5-2008 by ThEsEnTiNeL]

[edit on 30-5-2008 by ThEsEnTiNeL]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ThEsEnTiNeL

While I agree with your sentiments, I believe that if we can get average Americans in the higher levels of government, we can do those things that we believe are right without sacrificing anything else. The people need a government that they can feel is actually looking out for them. We don't have that now, but we have the power to make it happen if we work together and take this government out of the hands of those who are only playing the game.

You can mock the idea, but I would prefer this to the revolution that I believe is coming if we don't do something.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
ThEsEnTiNeL: This would only lower our image to the eyes of the world. How strong does a country look when even they don't trust their gov't. It almost seems like doing a quicky like this would trigger switches in some nuke holding country's to take us out before we take them out of power too. if this happens, i can even see the UK abandoning us.

I feel it is alot better to be tactical and overthrow the gov't from within than from an iron fist to the face. My whole life i've noticed (even when i was a kid and didn't fully understand things like this) that something is a little crook with our gov't. I've always had the strong desire to be someone that sets things straight. And i completely agree with this part of scarlett's post:

• We will support the Constitution and limited governmental powers.
• We will be loyal to no one but the people.
• We will not play the “game” in Washington and will expect the people to hold us accountable.
• We should take campaign contributions of no more than $100
• We will not accept contributions from major corporations.

especially the $100 contribution portion, we need this "buy your way to the office" business to stop...now. We are no longer a free country. We are being decieved.

And death should never be an answer, especially for men as corrupt as these men. I say we do this: were the Twin Towers once stood we create a special basement prison cell for these men. From 9 to 5 they are forced to be put on display to portray what this country once was...old and corrupt. Exactly like a zoo...but maybe without the public feeding. (Btw, we might need these animals to be kept in seperate cages as well, we don't want their lives ended to short now do we)

top topics

join