It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Rewrites History for Political Point-Scoring - Notes on the

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Obama talks of "family military service".

Obama also spoke about his uncle, who was part of the American brigade that helped to liberate Auschwitz. He said the family legend is that, upon returning from war, his uncle spent six months in an attic. “Now obviously, something had really affected him deeply, but at that time there just weren’t the kinds of facilities to help somebody work through that kind of pain," Obama said.

Now, to begin, (as he seems to be referring to U.S. - not Kenyan - treatment of veterans, he makes mention of his maternal grandmother "working in the factories" during the Second World War (which is true)) and no "Kenyans" fought with the U.S. military in World War 2 - let alone the "liberation of Auschwitz" which was liberated by the 322nd Rifle Division of the Red Army), we'll assume that he's talking about his American (maternal) family:
Really, it's quite a good tear-jerker on why "more should be done to support the troops", until we hit this little snag:
Obama's mother (Ann Durham) was an only child.

U.S. treatment of military veterans has been sub-par, if not outright appalling, in many cases but why does Obama-boy feel the need to lie to the veterans? Some part of me hopes that there's a mythical uncle who's existance has been erased out of all family records, or that he was "really" referring to his grandfather, but come on.

Not that the "sniper fire" lie by Hillary was any better but hey - as long as the Unwashed Masses keep eating up the lies of the politicians, we might hear about Hillary's "great-grandfather that fought with the Ashante against the British army", or McCain's "grandfather that provided aid during the Armenian genocide!"

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I wish people would tell us why we should vote for their chosen candidate instead of telling us why we shouldn't vote for their opposition. I am not an Obama supporter, but the ridiculousness of some of the anti-Obama propaganda out there is just too much.

So far, the only campaign that I have noticed that has been run on why you should vote for the candidate was Ron Paul. So many threads were out there about his stance on the issues. Yet with the other major candidates, all we get are back stabbing and mudslinging.

I know, I am naive for hoping for such a fantasy and it is only going to get worse, but hey... it's worth a shot.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   

The senator from Illinois has his own tales to live down as well. For example, during a speech in 2002 Obama gave us a heart-rending story of his grandfather's service in uniform during World War II.

"My grandfather signed up for a war the day after Pearl Harbor was bombed, fought in Patton's army," stated Obama.

"He saw the dead and dying across the fields of Europe; he heard the stories of fellow troops who first entered Auschwitz and Treblinka. He fought in the name of a larger freedom, part of that arsenal of democracy that triumphed over evil, and he did not fight in vain."

All this would be great if it weren't pure fiction. For starters, the Nazis destroyed the Treblinka death camp in 1943 after shooting the last prisoners, a group of Jewish girls.

Then there is the problem of the locations of Treblinka and Auschwitz. Both Nazi death camps were located inside Poland. Thus, no American troops ever entered the camps until years after the war was over.

Auschwitz was taken by the Soviet Union after the Nazis evacuated most of the prisoners. The retreating Nazis left those too weak or sick to walk behind. The 322nd Rifle Division of the Red Army liberated them on Jan. 27 1945.

So unless Obama's Grandfather was working for Joe Stalin, liberating Europe in a Soviet Army uniform, he was not likely to hear stories about Auschwitz or Treblinka from his fellow soldiers.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I wish people would tell us why we should vote for their chosen candidate instead of telling us why we shouldn't vote for their opposition. I am not an Obama supporter, but the ridiculousness of some of the anti-Obama propaganda out there is just too much.

I'm just attempting to deconstruct the irrational beliefs of the Obamatrons that believe Obama-boy is the best thing since sliced bread, and if he's elected we can "transcend race/unify America/crush the Martian insurgency", or whichever hackneyed line is thrown out by his supporters.

I post this as a "counterpoint" to Hillary's now-infamous "sniper fire" remark:
However, the two websites where I found this story not a single poster realised that Obama's mother was a single child (hence an "uncle" wouldn't - and didn't - exist) - it's alright to claim that Obama is really the "Mad Mullah" resurrected, or the Anti-Christ, but as soon as he mentions a family member you better believe he ain't lying to get votes!

So far, the only campaign that I have noticed that has been run on why you should vote for the candidate was Ron Paul. So many threads were out there about his stance on the issues. Yet with the other major candidates, all we get are back stabbing and mudslinging.

It is morally reprehensible that politics has devolved into petty mudslinging but come on:
This is what the Unwashed Masses want.

They don't want to hear about Madonna building a school for impoverished Puerto Ricans, or Bono negotiating a settlement between the warring groups in Darfur - they'd rather hear about Britney Spears' latest mental breakdown, or that Brad Pitt has a love-child by a one-legged-blind-lesbian-Martian or some other tabloid trash:
So should we expect anything better in one of the worst forums of human expression - politics?

I know, I am naive for hoping for such a fantasy and it is only going to get worse, but hey... it's worth a shot.

Maybe someday -when voters worldwide realise that politics should be about what people stand for, rather than what they do, did, or are.

Someday.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chaoticar
Maybe someday -when voters worldwide realise that politics should be about what people stand for, rather than what they do, did, or are.

This is priceless. We should judge politicians by what they stand for rather than what they do? Wow, I shall call you Mr. Gullible. Actions speak louder than words, my friend. Politicians will say ANYTHING to get elected. When a politician makes a statement that is proven to be a bold faced lie, that is their true character coming out. This is at least the second time in the campaign that Obama has lied to try to win votes. I'm trying to teach my kids that the truth is always the best policy...and here we have a proven liar that has a real shot at the Presidency. It's sad.

Here's my statement...similar to yours above. Maybe someday politicans will realize that we want an official that stands for something rather than someone who will do or say anything to get elected.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle
Here's my statement...similar to yours above. Maybe someday politicans will realize that we want an official that stands for something rather than someone who will do or say anything to get elected.

On second thought, my wording of the phrase seems naive-to-the-pont-of-insanity naive.

Thanks for the..."more appropriate" rewording!

top topics

join