It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My school

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I'm not sure this is where this thread belongs but heres my spill, whether im right or wrong. I goto a private catholic school and of course every day i get taught in morality and previous religion courses before that violence is bad and wars should never be fought unless its a "just war" and even that has circumstances. Well our school let the army or marines ( i forget ) come to our school and teach kids about it ( basically convince kids to join the army or whatever ). Isn't this a bit hypocritical? here im being taught about not going to war and now our school is letting in military officials come in to show and convince our kids to join the military?

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Yes, the world is full of paradox, isn't it?

It would be wrong of you not to question the double edge on the sword.

Thanks for the firsthand account.

IA

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I'm not too up on US law, but I believe your school really has no choice in the matter. You might want to read up on it a bit....good starting point here.

Military recruitment in schools

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I will question this matter tommorow personally with my teacher. I always thought private schools were kinda on their own. Funded the school on their own, created their own rules like a dress code. It seems like they would have a choice in this matter, maybe not. but i will ask tommorow.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Q: Are private schools subject to the military recruiter requirements?
A. Private secondary schools that receive funds under the ESEA are subject to 10
U.S.C. § 503. However, private schools that maintain a religious objection to
service in the Armed Forces that is verifiable through the corporate or other
organizational documents or materials of that school are not required to comply
with this law.

from FAQ about military recruitment in schools

So, according to this, it is your school that is allowing them in there by not having having a religious objection to service in the Armed Forces....so yes, ask at your school...ask as many people as you can, discuss it with your parents.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
It's as much joing the military as taking advantage of oppotunities available through the military. Some people, like myself, had parents who scraped alll they could to get their kids into a private school. Sometimes the best option for the kids, or the option they prefer, is going into the military.
Aside from that, a just war is a war that should be fought. Turning the othe rcheek is fine and good, but eventually it's fight to defend yourself and your family or role over.
We havn't had a war like that for a while, so wwe've kinda forgot about that part.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Yeah. But this is an illegal unessecary war and nowhere near just. so shouldn't my school be telling these guys to ef off?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
If they do that, they won't receive any government funding, and will have to face any applicable penalties

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Thyhorrorcosmic

No, for one thing, serving in the military is a choice, not a obligation, and a lot of good CAN come from serving in the military, you don't have to take a active military role.
Aside from that, most likely the military is paying your school some amount to allow them to be on campus. Most likely your school is like many private schools and is under funded, sure you pay a lot in, but that money is generally put away fairly quickly in school projects, salaries, books, maintenance, ect. They need as much as they can get.
Also, if your school is like my school, you may have some ex military as teachers or coaches.
Me personaly, I always found them the best teachers, having been out and done some of the things in the textbooks we had.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
lol none of my teachers are ex military.

top topics

join