It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government revenue through road works and traffic jams.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Have you ever wondered why there are road works on seemingly usable roads or why when roads are FINALLY upgraded to allow for the increased population, they are still not quite adequate? I think I have worked it out.

This particular study was done in Brisbane but would be applicable in any city.

Two family sedans were used for the RACQ test, each travelling on a set route for five consecutive days to replicate a typical return commuter journey to and from the city.
Travel times, fuel consumption and calculated carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions were then compared with another five trips made by the same vehicles during daytime non-peak periods.
The two routes chosen were: Tingalpa to Fortitude Valley via Wynnum Road and the Story Bridge (a round trip of 22.5km); and Banyo to Fortitude Valley via Sandgate Road (a round trip of 26.5km).
"Even in the relatively moderate traffic congestion experienced during the trial, average fuel consumption went from 12.4 to 16.2 litres/100km during peak hour travel – an increase of 3.8 litres/100km over the off-peak journeys," Mr Spalding said.
"On the longer of the two routes, that represents an extra $7.55 a week on the petrol bill at today's prices, or $392 a year.

Not accounting for the greenhouse gas emissions which in itself is an interesting part of the story attached but the thing that got my attention is the study proves something I have thought for a long time.

Being conservative and using round figures, Brisbane alone has a population of around 1.8 million people. Say 1 quarter of those people drive that’s 450 thousand people using an unnecessary A$7.00/week which equates to A$163.8 million / year. Considering the Government gets around half of what we pay for fuel in tax Brisbane alone is paying A$81.9 million / year in tax. Australia has a population of over 20 mil so based on the above calculations that equates to A$910 mil in tax.

Even if the number of drivers isn’t as high as 25% of the population, this study was taken over a 22.5KM round trip. I personally drive more than that each way so imagine how many more do and just how conservative my figures are.

In short, the way I see it, neither the Government or fuel companies have any interest in improving traffic flow.

join