It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extinct Tasmanian tiger gene brought back to life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Scientists said Tuesday they had "resurrected" a gene from the extinct Tasmanian tiger by implanting it in a mouse, raising the future possibility of bringing animals such as dinosaurs back to life.Great i wonder what diseases they gonna bring back to life also.

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 23-5-2008 by alienstar]

[edit on 23-5-2008 by alienstar]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
There's a massive difference between bringing any animal which has been extinct for 65million years and one that has been extinct for only 72years- i think the possibility of people bringing dinosaurs back is very remote.
And even if people were able to bring dinosaurs back, what would be the point? Their habitat and environments that they lived in no longer exist, we would merely be bringing them back to keep them as tourist attractions, which i would disagree with.
IMHO, there are so many thousands of animals going extinct in the world right now, i think we need to place more emphasis on saving the amazing animals we've got rather than thinking about bringing wolly mammoths and T-rex's back to life etc.
The only reason why i would be ok with people bringing Tasmanian Tigers back to life is because they were largely killed off by people (and the non-native dingo's they brought with them) and that they still have a natural habitat left in the wild and if brought back to life, might be able to fulfill their original role in their natural ecosystems/food chains etc.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The question would have to asked, who would own the patent for the animal?

Personally, I hope they manage to bring back the New Zealand Moa.

The legs on those creatures would be great for eating, and the export potential would be massive.

Farming them on the other hand would be a nightmare.

[edit on 24-5-2008 by Mr Gunter]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

i was under the impression that this tiger was in fact still around.

it seems like i saw something on the discovery channel a few years back about this. and if im not mistaken they had recent footage of the tiger.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaleGribble

i was under the impression that this tiger was in fact still around.

it seems like i saw something on the discovery channel a few years back about this. and if im not mistaken they had recent footage of the tiger.

the footage is from like.. the 1920s .. old .. black and white.
it's been named extinct.. but there have been sightings reported though.

-

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

thanks for clearing that up for me. like i said it had been several years since it aired and i couldnt really remember.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Its actually the Tasmanian Wolf.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Its actually a Thylacine!

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I am all about bringing back any animal we can. There is so much we don't know and I think it is our responsibility as the higher-brain-functioning creatures of the earth to use any and all knowledge we have.

In terms of "playing God," well if you're saying that then we probably have different views on theology.

While much of this would be used as a spectacle, I would only agree with it being a scientific endeavor. There is much we could learn about evolution and what evolution was maybe destroyed when the dinos left.

As far as the thylocine, well that was a tragedy, and I think that it being our fault, they are afforded another go.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
It probably won't be long when scientists have broght back dinosaurs if they haven't done it already. If it has happened it would be a jurassic park that is probably miles underground that citizens will never see.

new topics

top topics

join