It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A straightforward question - with ramifications

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Here it is:

Is it possible for a member of the Church of Scientology to be a Free Mason (or vice versa?)

The two seem incongruous to me as organizations go, but since they are not prima facie averse to each other I was wondering about the combination.

There seem to be some indications are that the two organizations, at their roots, might be antithetical to each other.

I know that many are very leery of the ultimate goals of Free Masonry (if it can be said to have 'ultimate' goals) but I am more inclined to believe that as in all influential organizations, there can be relatively errant cabals, each vying for it's own ends. Scientology has however shown itself quite adept at the art of infiltration and subversion, and has made little to no effort to overtly repent it's apparent self-serving nature.

I will admit that this question arises from my own musings about organizations that may actively seek to 'undo' one another, given the appropriate means and opportunity, if for no other reason than ideology.

- I'm not trying to be ignorant here, I have no bones of contention with the notion of both groups joining hands and singing "Kumbaya" (so long as I don't have to listen).

[edit on 22-5-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It would depend on the individual. If a Scientologist believed in the existence of God, and was of good moral character, I can see nothing wrong with him being initiated.

However, it is my understanding that Scientologists deny the existence of God, and claim that belief in God was a hoax perpetrated by Xenu.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I guess Xenu would be their version of the Devil, but I'm not I've ever read about who they think is the Creator. Hubbard, probably! Surely he is claimed to have reached apotheosis.

Funny you mention about what other groups the scientologists may associate with. About ten years ago, when I was living in Toronto, I happened to be on Young street. This is the hub of all the activity in the downtown. Anyway, Scientology has a big office on Young street - have for a while.

After repeated trips down there to scour the dingy occult bookstores, I gradually noticed something strange. Right across the street from the Toronto headquarters of Scientology, was a street preacher indoctrinating the passers-by in Raelian dogma. I used to have conversations with the fellow; I didn't even know the entire gist of what the Raelians were all about then, but the guy could talk up a storm.

Anyway, one day, while standing right next to this Raelian recruiter, I witnessed him give out some pamphlets and a personal recommendation. With that, the target was duly pointed toward the Scientology Toronto headquarters across the street. The guy disappeared inside the place (with the Raelian recommendation in hand). The Raelians were working together with the Scientologists!

Subsequently, I witnessed this same curious activity more than once.

[edit on 22-5-2008 by Fire_In_The_Minds_of_Men]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I have always found it quite interesting that certain, but certainly not all, organizations which refer to themselves as religion, finds a way to 'endorse' or otherwise justify lying. I have heard of this in conversations with some of the disciples of Reverend Moon (I believe the reference was to the 'divine lie') who believe that the 'ends' justifies the 'means' of a particular word or act (at least, that was my take on it.) I suppose the same rationale could be accepted by Scientology, although I don't know for certain.

So essentially, were one willing to outright swear falsely, you could become a member, of course I can't imagine why you might want to bother joining under the pretense of a lie. (I shudder to think of the kind of people who hold no value to oath's or honor and the treachery they might be capable of - naive, I know.)

new topics

top topics

join