It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California's top court overturns gay marriage ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

California's top court overturns gay marriage ban

news.yahoo.com

SAN FRANCISCO - In a monumental victory for the gay rights movement, the California Supreme Court overturned a voter-approved ban on gay marriage Thursday in a ruling that would allow same-sex couples in the nation's biggest state to tie the knot.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

the California Supreme Court overturned a voter-approved ban on gay marriage

I thought this was the major issue. California citizens voted against, however a supreme court ruling negated the ban. This is very interesting.

In a dissenting opinion, Justice Marvin Baxter agreed with many arguments of the majority but said the court overstepped its authority. Changes to marriage laws should be decided by the voters, Baxter wrote.

My sentiments exactly. I do not however have a problem with gay marriage, but this style of action is concerning to me.

What does ATS think?

AAC

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think you are spot on. I have zero problem with Gay marrige but like you said, the voters have spoken. This is a bit spooky to me. Great post AAC. Flag+Stars+ Applause!

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
If they love each other, go for it! As long as they aren't hurting anyone, why not?

Thing I don't like is here in Wisconsin we voted civil union/gay marriage banned, and to me that is so wrong. It also affect me as well. I live with my signaficant other and our son, and we want to get married, conisder ourselves married to each other and in in God's eyes, but not the state. Reason why we can't get married is financial reasons, and hopefully one day those will change. So far haven't really felt any diffrent as a household through economic support, etc. But church is a diffrent story. I cannot become a member of my SO's church until we marry(pastor knows the circumstances as well), only reason my son was baptised was because my SO was a member, and it was done unoofically by the Pastor. I feel welcomed at church, but yet I don't.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The difference between though and action is prejudice and discrimination. Thinking something is different to putting it into action...Personally i dont have a problem with same sex relationships at all, and think that if your in love with that person it doesnt and shouldnt matter whether you get married or not! It works the same way with striaght relationships, i can never understand why people are so concerned with getting married becasue at the end of the day it doesnt change anything between the 2 people involved in the relationship or how they feel....but it is slightly concerning how all of sudden it was over-ruled if they could have been that sure about the rule it over-turn it just like that...?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Good for California. Banning gay marriage is jsut another one of our countries little dookie ways of saying F-U. To me it is like what Hitler did to the Jews (and the other 5 Million he killed that were non-Jew that commonly go unmentioned), what we did with African Americans when we abused, segreigated, inslaved, and racial discrimiated them. Gays are no different from any one. They have a different sexual standing yes, but many of our Presidents were of the Unitarian Church, being that the minister can be of any sexual orientation. We aren't here to judge. Let gays be gays, let jews be jews, and let power hungry politics get called out and taken down.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by DolceStir]

top topics

join