It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An In Depth look at 2020/ Future Strategic Environment (Military)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I really would have wanted to put this in my thread about Corporations and their threat but this doc is so important I decided it should have its own thread.

www.fas.org...

Its quite eye opening.
Heres the intro:
In 2020, prior to hostilities or during peace operations, an adversary will have sophisticated regional situational awareness. Enemies may very well know, in near real time, the disposition of all forces. They will command and control their forces with real-time access to precise navigation (position and timing), submeter imagery, highly accurate weather data, timely missile warning, and robust communications.

Space will enable these capabilities. In fact, national military forces, paramilitary units, terrorists, and any other potential adversaries will share the high ground of space with the United States and its allies. Adversaries may also share the same commercial satellite services for communications, imagery, and navigation. Gaining superiority in space will be challenging. The space "playing field" is leveling rapidly, so US forces will be increasingly vulnerable. Additionally, though adversaries will benefit greatly from space, losing the use of space may be more devastating to the United States. It would be intolerable for US forces, modeled along the lines of a Joint Vision 2010 force, to be deprived of capabilities in space.

To further explore the anticipated 2020 environment, we have compiled some key political, economic, technological, military, and space trends and assertions. The first four are consistent with those used in Joint Vision 2010, the Joint Strategy Review, and the National Defense Panel. Following the trends and assertions, we'll discuss their implications for US space power.

[Edited on 28-2-2004 by Agent47]

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
they could discover some rare gems and useful resources on other planets to help the economy too...some people say me might mine asteroids heading towards earth so then when its finished mining it would be hollow and when it falls thru earth's atmosphere it would just become dust

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000
they could discover some rare gems and useful resources on other planets to help the economy too...some people say me might mine asteroids heading towards earth so then when its finished mining it would be hollow and when it falls thru earth's atmosphere it would just become dust

In a word.........no.

join