It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Prison Finds Something New to Deter Escapes - a Bear Living on the Grounds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Here's a new way to deter inmates from trying to escape!

US Prison Finds Something New to Deter Escapes - a Bear Living on the Grounds

The way the warden sees it, the more than 400-pound (180-kilogram) black bear living in the middle of the sprawling Louisiana State Penitentiary is an extra layer of security.

"I love that bear being right where it is," Warden Burl Cain said Monday. "I tell you what, none of our inmates are going to try to get out after dark and wander around when they might run into a big old bear. It's like having another guard at no cost to the taxpayer."

The bear was first seen by an inmate crossing a road in the prison on Friday. It was taking a stroll near the center of the state's only maximum security prison, which is about 115 miles (185 kilometers) northwest of New Orleans.

****SKIP****

Prison officials believe they have eight to 10 bears on the grounds, said Gary Young, head of the executive management office at the prison.

Who would want to try to wander around and escape thru woods were there's a posse of bears living, waiting for you?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I like it, sounds like a good idea.

More prisons should surround themselves with dangerous animals.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I would look at it this way if I were a prisoner there: What better way to deter guards and/or dogs from following me?

new topics

join